Black ghost knife fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chrisb2011

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought him a few days ago and he seems fine but I've just noticed he was lay on his side on the gravel but now he's moving again he seems fine is this normal?

My BGK never laid on his side, he did lay on his back in a plant though. How big is your tank? And has it gone through the nitrogen cycle? What are your water parameters? What other fish do you have in there?

My ammonia was a tad high at 0.50 I've bought some ammonia reducer got parrots silver sharks red tailed sharks plecs cat fish and 2 baby oscars

Yikes. Well, don't use the ammonia reducer, just do water changes, keep the ammonia at .25 or below.
The BGK is scaleless so being with oscars and the other fish is a bad idea. :(
I hope your tank is about 200 gallons also.

At the moment everything is a baby so there ok in my tank it is big though not sure of size im upgrading soon though don't worry would you be able to help me ive bought some general tonic I no I sound thick I have the fluval u3 filter and on the tonic box it says remove carbon and zeolite (ammonia remover) filter media from the aquarium what do I take out? Is it just the blue box with the circles in?
And how long do I keep it out for
I've took the black padding out and also the chalk circles is that correct and how long do I keep them out for

When you use meds, you just remove the carbon, which is the little black rock looking things. When you are done medicating, you replace the carbon to get rid of the meds, but it has to be new carbon. Carbon is only good for 2 weeks, so if it has been in your tank longer than that, you will need new. Make sure you don't put a bunch of new stuff in the filter though, since that's where your good bacteria lives.
I wouldn't use meds yet though, I would do some water changes for the next few days and see how that goes. What is in the meds that you bought? What does it say it treats?
Do you have hiding places for your BGK? They don't like light too much, so they tend to hide during the day.
My BGK grew from 4-8 inches in about 5 months, and oscars should be kept in tanks with only other oscars.

EDIT: Keep the ceramic rings and black sponge in your filter, you only need to remove the carbon (little black rocks).

Please tell me that you do not have all of these fish in the 125 liter tank that is in your 'my tanks' section. the fact that you say you have a fluval u3 scares me.

That's both sides of them I think it's the same as those u linked me what shall I do with the blue cartridge etc

Attachments

• image-3108239658.jpg
    image-3108239658.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 94
Ah okay, the "white" one with the brown gunk on it needs to come out, or if possible you can cut it open and take the carbon gravel out, so you still have your good bacteria, which is what the brown stuff is. Leave everything else in there though.

Ok I've put the blue container in again and how long should I leave it before putting new carbine is as I have 2 new spair pads

Whenever you are done with the meds. I wouldn't use the meds yet though, I would just change part of the water every day for a while and see if he perks up.

Well I've put in some as I rescued one of the sharks from somewer and his scales are awfull and his partner shark is bad aswell so I've used one dosage and I will put more carbon things in tommorow night and do a water change just before I put them in at about 50%

The carbon is used to remove meds, so only put new in if you need to take the meds out.
Yeah, do water changes every day for a week or so.

Right I will do one tommorow evening so the meds have had some effect I'll do 50% should I put new carbon in then or not what would you say

Yes, put new carbon back in after your water change tomorrow, and then change the water every day for a week, and see if the fish perk up.

Back
Top Bottom