Blue Rimmed Derasa Clam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
C

cj10488

Ok So I have been waiting and so far this is the best picture that I can get so far.. Getting one clam for my tank makes me start to get a clam addiction.. I just might have found what I want to do with my 29gal tank..

James

Well For some reason the Clam died today.. RIP

Woke up this Am and he was gapping... Checked for any sort of parasites and none were found.. By this evening his mantle is retracted and seperating away from the shell... I have no Idea why but I am going to get to the bottom of it and resolve the issue and get another after I get my halides..

James

CA is at 420 and Alk is unknown at this time due to a a bad test kit.. New test kit will be here Thursday... As for pH it is at 8.0 My alk last time I tested about a week ago was down to 5.0meq/l Waiting on new Salt as well as the Kent salt mixed was 5.0meq/l.. I bumped the CA after the last ALK test to about 430 from 380 to help lower the ALK... No place stocks any decent test kits around here so the all have to be mail order.. Kent dominates the market on supplies as well...

TIA,
James

Sorry about the clam BTW. :(

The reason I asked is the mantle pulling away like that will usually be from a high Ca low alk balance but in your case that does not seem to be the case. With a 5 mEq/l alk though the calcium should be about 460 ppm but that still would not have caused the problem.

Cheers
Steve

I am thinking that it might have had something to do with the LFS.. Everything in the store is kept under 400watt MH bulbs.. So it might have not had that great of an experience going into my tank under 330watt pc lights.. I am quite bummed but I plan on learning from this mistake and moving on.. I will be trying other LFS as so far half the stuff I buy from this one has died... Their SPS corals that I have gotten from them seem to be doing good so far... I think I am going to order everything online in the future until I can find a good reliable LFS in the area.. Bummer thing is the closest LFS is almost an hour away from me..

James

I think after a weeks time I doubt if going to a lower light intensity would cause the clams demise. If the other way around possibley. At worst I think it would just become dull.

Cheers
Steve

hmm.. That is interesting.. I am thinking it had to be some sort of predator in my tank as he looked fine all the way up until this am... All levels seem to be fine unless my alk dropped that drastically in a weeks time..

James

Back
Top Bottom