bolivian ram =]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxima423

Aquarium Advice Addict
so i rehomed my 2 angels, easier than i thought lol

i took a trip to my LFS and saw that they had newly acquired bolivian rams, and the best part was! they were 4$ each, usually they are 7-9$, i guess it is a labor day sale ^_^

img_1154804_0_ace2759e022937c20ca90c932b5f1a0c.jpg

img_1154804_1_b9d7a987400e563d2a4e58c64ab78bb0.jpg

img_1154804_2_a03612e48dd022f8fb55ee0878c27e17.jpg

i just acclimated him for 1hr 15mins and hes looking great, even colored up a bit

any hints of keeping them??? i read that they need close to perfect parameters

i have:
0ppm ammonia
0ppm nitrite
5-10 nitrate
temp hasnt gone over 81* for a while, its about 76-78* constantly, any suggestions??

I chose the Bolivian's because they're supposed to be much hardier than many of the other ram cichlids and so far, mine have been pretty forgiving (lost 1 out of 5 in about 11 months). The parameters that you have seem pretty good. Do you only have one of them? I think they do better in small groups but I guess that also depends on how much space is available. Info on this other thread may help.
I really like my little guys, the tiniest one has the biggest attitude! And that is a pretty good price for them too.

yea i only have one, dont they fight a lot if they are kept with others? i tried to stay away from that and just stick to one, i have a female i believe =]

Mine 'lip-lock' occasionally and sometimes if Napoleon (the runt with attitude) gets too pesty, one of the larger rams kind of flares up at him, but that's the extent of the aggression I've seen. Not sure but I think all of mine are males and yet everybody seems to do okay. It may also depend on the size tank you have and how many plants or other hiding spots you have, but I think they are supposed to do better in small groups, pairs best.

yea the lip-locking thing, i sort dont want any kind of aggression with them, but i might try to get another female and see what happens =]

My rams dont fight, i have quite a few different ones, the only rams i ever had aggression issues with were the gold rams.
i keep german blues and bolivians with other dwarf cichlids in the same tank with no issues at all.

Could well be wrong but I didn't think the lip-locking was fighting / aggression as much as it was like arm-wrestling - one proves their dominance and problem solved. At least I've never noticed any fin-nipping or any of the signs of stress I'm familiar with (no hiding, eating well, no torn fins or sores). I think the lip-locking is part of what makes them entertaining to watch actually!

I have a pair of angels(brothers) that lip lock every now and then, and then again got a few discus that do the same.
Id think youd be fine with any of them, have you checked out apisto's yet either? same care as the dwarf SA cichlid(they are dwarf SA's) and are supposed to be a little easier to keep for a while, like years not weeks nor months.

Back
Top Bottom