Breeding Angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bluebirdspaul

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi folks im new to this forum and was wondering if i could get a bit of advice on the best way to breed my angelfish? Ive identified tbat i have a male and a female. And have them in a 50 -60L tank on there own. Is there anything i could to help??

ForumRunner_20120928_233734.jpg

I am NOT an expert but I do have a breeding pair of Angels (currently spawned 8X, none have been successful; yet!!) and have asked LOTS of questions!! One thing that I have learned is important (and VERY hard to fix!!!) is that your aquarium should not be in a walkway, it should be in a somewht secluded area. Reason being is that the Angels like their privacy big time during spawn!! Each pair is different personality wise, some will fight, some will kill other fish or even each other and some will be just fine; I have found this behavior before and during the spawn as well but once they spawn remember they will want to be left alone as much as possible. Oh, also expect to see "lip locking" going on before the spawn; this can be a mild or very intense behavior when it's happening. Very interesting behavior and very scary when they carry on intensly doing this (FYI: they can injure themselves while doing this). I have been told to leave the light on at night and to just cover the tank with a sheet or something (if in a walkway area) and not to go up and check to how things are going often at all; basically to just leave them be. Too much outside activity will cause the Angels to eat the eggs or fry. Also make sure you have some tallish plants with wide leaves or some other type of vertical surface for your pair to lay the eggs on. Usually they will choose a place and use it repeatedly but not always. The eggs take 48 hrs to "hatch", then they will be "wigglers" for a week (I think) before they are actually free swimming. After the first week you will need to feed them a special food (can purchase at LFS) or baby Brine shrimp (2 day old) and you will need a Turkey baster for feeding them. When the eggs are first layed they are hard to see sometimes but after 24 hrs they unfertile eggs will be solid white and the fertile eggs will be a "greyish" color.
You did good with the large tank, I never planned on breeding mine so I was totally unprepared and ran into issues. I don't really think you will need it with your tank size, but having a tank divider has saved lives for me at times (I have a 40g breeder); you might want to have one on the side just in case of an emergency. Best of luck for you and your pair!! :)

Thanks for your reply. Great advice! I just hope the pair i have will breed with each other. Ive only had them in the tank for a week now and unlike other angelfish ive had in the past these pair great on great, they stick together all the time and never seem to fight. Ive kept fish for awhile now i have a second tank of 190L with Cichlid and malawi's in. But new to the breeding which is why im asking for the advice.
Glad you replied thank you.

Feeding them brine shrimp and blood worms will help. They will need a little time to get used to their new surroundings.

You're welcome. I'm happy to help. Are you sure you have a male and a female? The only way I can sex mine for sure is when they actually lay eggs. I have been wrong more than once at guessing the sex and then I know for sure once they are laying.

Lol i hope so. I bought them in as male and female and ive done a bit of research and from what i can tell then im farely sure they are.

You have a good eye! I didn't know mine were male & female for sure until I saw the eggs. Mine had started "acting up" with each other and other fiish so I started asking questions and found out I may have a pair but nothing was conslusive until I saw the eggs. It took several spawnings before I actually saw her laying the eggs and could see her breeding tube. :)

Ive actually got them in a marine styled tank with the whole back ofbthe tank is the filter, the back 4" right the way across the tank is all sponges. Do they like calm water with very little movement or does that not matter??

There are more than the one way of sexing the fish, i.e the shape of the body, the shape of the forehead etc..... plus the aquiaum that i bought the fish from also helpped me to sex them, the guy that owns it has been in the business all his life and knows a hell of alot. And also a friend so i trust him opinion.

I don't think they like a very strong current.
I was asking about the filtration in the event you were leaving the eggs in the tank. The fry can't handle current at all. I just use sponge filters with mine. I leave my temp at 78.
You can also try water changes to get them in the mood.

Yea i did read that sum where. They have only been in the tank for about 10 days so i will leave it a bit long till i do a water change i think. Wanted to let them settle in abit first, wud that b agud idea?

I would go ahead and start once a week 30% water changes for tank maintanence. Water changes do trigger mine to spawn sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom