Chaeto addition!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KreativJustin

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55g FOWLR (+ a few frags) for a couple of months now.

1 Scooter Blenny, 1 Sally LF Crab, 2 Turbo Snails, Frag Brain Coral, Kenya Tree, Zoanthid Frag

I am still having problems with Nitrate(s) stabilizing, and the diatom blooms are nuts. I've heard Chaeto is great at making nitrates disappear, so I thought I would try it out. I went to the LFS and picked up a big wad of it, and a nice sized chunk of lace base rock (dead). I added it to my tank, and directed the circulation pump to hit the glass, go one way to the chaeto and the other way towards a Kenya Tree.

I took two pictures, one with a small 'UV' bulb that I had just setting there, and one without the extra light on. I'm running 2x Actinic 2x 10k coralife bulbs, I'm just wondering if I'm going to burn this guy up or if this is even enough light. Do I need the second bulb, and if so, what kind should I buy?

It also came with a crap ton of hitchhikers, most being beneficial I hope. I did see two guys that look like brittle stars (babies) and some bugs. I already have added a bottle of around 1000+ copapods at one time, so hopefully this helps up the population for my blenny.

Any tips or comments are appreciated.

:fish2:

Chaeto is usually placed in sump/fuge, not the DT. I know I pick a bunch out of my powerheads after I tear handfuls out of my fuge, I'm messy though.

Also, the ball or mass or whatever you call it, needs room to grow and move a bit

The LFS gave me a "HUGE" chunk, so I might cut it down. I do know that it's supposed to go into the Refuge area, but I don't have a sump setup yet. Once I get a sump setup, it will be moved to the sump.

So I might cut it down, and find a better method to move around!

Thanks.

you can bury small parts of it in the sand to hold it in place it will grow just fine as long as there is circulation , as long as your tank has light you won't need that desk lamp on the side
I keep a small golf ball size in each of my tanks it grows fast I cut it back every 3 weeks or so I am a big macro junkie and keep many types of it in my displays this was my 40g before I tore it down to set up my 90g
and yes this tank I miss dearly
img_2947965_0_ca0c42f5a8f69e285e65fcb6df56e6c4.jpg

Oh that's pretty :) Yeah, it has stabalized my Nitrates, so I'm going to stay with it. It will be placed into the sump when it becomes available. Thanks everyone! Btw, that's a very beautiful tank :)

:thanks:

:fish2:

Back
Top Bottom