Did I really get a male?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beautifulbettas

Aquarium Advice Activist
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390247194.121090.jpg here's a picture if the new "female" crowntail I got from petco today I tried to get the biggest one labeled female to be sure that it really was but I'm still not sure I put "her" in with my other female veiltail and my veiltail immediately got vertical stripes but then they both started attacking eachother but not the mating kind like they were really fighting, I'm very confused any help?

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure they will fight to make a sort of pecking order that is why people get a sorority to avoid one being picked on constantly

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure they will fight to make a sort of pecking order that is why people get a sorority to avoid one being picked on constantly

The jar said female crown tail but I'm really not sure it's a female maybe just a juvenile male can you tell from the picture or do I need to post a better one

It is def a female but when it comes to females you need to keep atleast three in a group to keep the fighting down. They will still have a pecking order no matter what.

It is def a female but when it comes to females you need to keep atleast three in a group to keep the fighting down. They will still have a pecking order no matter what.

Thank you so much Riley how can you tell she's a female and not a young male?

And why did my other female get vertical stripes when in the same tank as her?

The stripes are the females way of showing off to other females as well as their way to show off to males. Don't let the females fool you, they are every bit as mean as the males. I had one female that was so homicidal that she killed everything in her tank and killed the male I put her with for spawning.

The stripes are the females way of showing off to other females as well as their way to show off to males. Don't let the females fool you, they are every bit as mean as the males. I had one female that was so homicidal that she killed everything in her tank and killed the male I put her with for spawning.

Wow, I never knew! Thank you so much for the info!

Totally agree. My females always fough when there was only two. The big will bully the little until she dies.

You can tell (with the larger fish) the females by checking the vent area and seeing a white dot there. That is the first egg. Males will not have that spot. Juv males will also have a more slender, elongated body than a similar aged fish.
But, as said before, females can be aggressive fish in their own rights. More often than not, if you look at a tank full of female Bettas in a store, they will be frayed and looking ragged. I used to cringe when my customer took my carefully, individually bagged females and tanked them together. In just minutes they would look like the loser of a prize fight. You need a lot of space to keep females together unless they are all sisters from the same spawn.

Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom