External Aquarium Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mreddiet

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have recently purchased and set up an external filter for my tank, the flow is really good and it keeps the water very clear ... However, after a week the flow becomes very weak. I cleaned out the pipes as they had some algea in and the head of the filter. This seemed to solve the problem but only for 3 days at a time!!!

Anyone have any tips on how to keep the flow going or had the same problems?

Tetra 700x

Thanks

Mart

What kind of media are you running in it? Are you cleaning out any filter floss or filter pads as you do a weekly water change? Canisters need to be given some weekly attention along with water changes to keep them running at full capacity, but all of them will have reduced flow with time as they do their job of pulling stuff out of the water.

What size tank is this on? It is a pretty good sized filter, so I would think that you might be ok with some reduced flow between maintenance.

I am having the same problem so I looked up the pump that came with it which mine is (Api nexx) an internal pump with external filter. The pump was 19.00 new so to me (worthless) cheap and am now getting a new (stronger) pump. I cleaned everything and also checked for clogs. Of course when I did that it dirtied the tank so I watched the pump running it pulled water through but the specks (trash) floated right by and some in and right back out.

I'm running with the media it came with which is the full works. I change top floss media fortnightly as I purchased a huge role of it.

I think I have found the problem - I notice the pipes (although we're unclogged) appeared to be messy.

I squeezed the pipes and to my suprise a lot of algae cleared from them straight into my canistar and like magic my flow returned to full power!

I'm glad it's working for you, I found a new pump 475gph that is on it's way my old one was 317gph so hopefully this will fix my problem. I think the pump was just bad but might as well go better if I have to get another.

Back
Top Bottom