Finally Bit the bullet and bought something!!! Good and bad experince...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichchick79

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
SOOO... I have a 55 gallon tank that I did have a AC75 and a AC30 on it. WELL, ive been going back and forth on what to do about my filters so I decided I was going to just go ahead and buy a canister. I did have my heart set on a Fluval, but they seem expensive...So after researching online and researching my bank account :)D) I decided to get a RENA XP3 (175 Gallon, 350 gallon per hour) and keep my AC 75 with it. (The AC has 2 filter sponges and 1 ceramic noodle pack) (The Rena has ceramic noodles and the filter mediums that came with it as well as bio-sorb)
Well, I got it all set up, and with some priming, got it working. It was confusing for me, because I am just a dumba$$ with figuring out how to how to put stuff together. But I finally did it. WELL... Stupid me decided to be brilliant and try to take off the connector without unplugging it, and when I did, water went EVERYWHERE. I freaked out and tried to put the top back on but water was spurting everywhere. SO then I unplugged the whole tank (the surge strip was easier to just shut off) and water continuted to pour everywhere while I ran and got a bucket. WELL...It took 8 towels to clean up the mess, and about 5 inches of water out of my tank. I finally got everythign cleaned up. I had to re-prime it and when I plugged it back in, it didnt work at first. Then I had to undo the top and re-seat it, and it started working. Woohoo!!!
Now I have the AC, The RENA and a AC Powerhead for 50 gallon tanks going, so I have a lot of current in my tank, but I dont think the fish are too bothered by it.
I bought the RENA because I will want to upgrade to a 100 gallon when I move next year, so I figured that will be one less accessory to buy.
Do you guys think I over did the filtration?
My water peramiters are all in the clear, nothing of nothing, and a PH of 7.4. It has been cycled about 6 months. I did use the noodles from my AC 75 in the RENA.
I also stopped my powerhead from putting out bubbles due to the fact that the RENA keeps sucking the air in and dispersing it all over the place in the outtake spraybar. But I do have it running in there.
Any hints you guys can give me?? You guys use the inline heater they have? Thanks guys!!!-Cassie

there will never be overfiltration. Also make sure that you lube all your gaskets with vaseline.

You can't overfilter, but you can have too much water flow. As long as the fish aren't hiding in sheltered corners, you're fine.

Is the canister sucking air in, or are there air pockets in the filter than need to be purged? If the filter is actually sucking air in, lower the intake.

Regarding lubing with vaseline...some gasket material can do just fine with vaseline, but some others will deteriorate if you use it. Check with the manufacturer, or, for 2 bucks, get some 100% silicone grease from the plumbing department of your local hardware store. A little goes a long way, and it is fine to use on both types.

The silicone grease is a great tip. It's very true about vaseline causing some deterioration.

As well, You can't over filter. When I had freshwater I used a Rena XP canister filter and it did a great job.

IMO, the Rena is the easiest filter on the market to use and clean. When it comes time to clean, I just unplug, let sit for a couple minutes, then take off the hose connector slowly (letting the water pressure dissapate), then take the filter to the sink and clean it. I dont dump the filter in the sink, I keep the tank water in it to rinse the biorings in. Then rinse the sponges with tap water. After you put it all back together, take it to the tank. When you re-attach the hose connector, the canister should fill with water. Let sit for a couple minutes to make sure it is full to the top with water and turn on. If you get some air bubbles coming out or you hear it cavitating, just tip slightly to one side or the other and the air will work itself out.

Back
Top Bottom