Finally got my puffers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nimo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ordered them almost a month ago, due to power outages and some stock issues with the store it took a bit to get them but finally got them in their new home today.

20120720_122921-1.jpg

ForumRunner_20120720_144920.jpg

There are three of them got lucky and caught them all 3 in one pic.
20120720_122731-1.jpg

Should cory cats be in the same tank as puffers? I thought puffers needed brackish water and a species only tank because they are super aggresive. Correct me if I am wrong, I'm not a puffer expert.

adammorrill said:
Should cory cats be in the same tank as puffers? I thought puffers needed brackish water and a species only tank because they are super aggresive. Correct me if I am wrong, I'm not a puffer expert.

It depends on the species. There are some that are freshwater and some that are brackish. Although all do best in species only tanks.

So cute! But if those are gsp you are going to be dealing with massive aggression issues!

smomus said:
So cute! But if those are gsp you are going to be dealing with massive aggression issues!

Not to mention salt issues... I think I read that you were getting dwarf puffers but these look like GSP.

Alyxx said:
Not to mention salt issues... I think I read that you were getting dwarf puffers but these look like GSP.

If they are indeed the gsp then I got s real good deal on them because they are suppose to be pea puffers. Well look more closely.

adammorrill said:

Going a to keep an eye on them if they get aggressive with the corys I will move the corys, I have plenty of tanks so it won't be a problem

Nimo said:
If they are indeed the gsp then I got s real good deal on them because they are suppose to be pea puffers. Well look more closely.

How big are they? Remember, dwarf or pea puffers only get to about an inch long.

They are REALLY similar to gsps. I've seen some pea puffers with spots like that, but never with green underneath like that. They are cute nonetheless

The first pic looks like Indian dwarves (I think that's what their called) but you can really see the green in the following two

Alyxx said:
How big are they? Remember, dwarf or pea puffers only get to about an inch long.

The biggest one is only about 3/4 inch and the smallest is just a little over 1/4 inch
They cory in the pic with it is still a baby so that makes the puffers look a little larger than they are.

After doing some more research on these cute little guys I think you all might be right on the GSP. My hubby has already gone to bed so will have to discuss this with him tomorrow, but guess what this gives me an excuse to start a salt water tank for the little guys. Lol they will definitely out grow the tank they are in so a new tank will be in order.

The good news is they will be fine in freshwater for a while if they are gsps, seeing as they are so young. It's a good enough reason to set up a saltwater tank, it's how I ended up with mine!

I been begging for salt water, so now I guess if the hubby wants to keep these little guys we are gonna have to get them a bigger tank and do salt water for them.
How big are they when they are suppose to start converting them to brackish?
I realize they go to full marine eventually but I don't know when to start converting them.

Do the GSP have blue eyes? All of these have really pretty blue eyes when they get next to the top where the lights are brighter.

Nice GSPs. Tail looked nipped in one of the pics. The sooner the upgrade, the better off they will be. Within the year is good.

I am going to go back to the store that ordered them for me and have her check for exactly what was ordered. They were suppose to be dwarfs and GSP are definitely not dwarf. Maybe she needs to be educated on what they are and what was ordered.
I love these guys already so I will do what I have to do for them but I am a little peeved that they are not what I ordered.

Back
Top Bottom