First coral!! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catmel

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I went out and bought a mushroom frag this afternoon. I believe its a green stripe ( was labled as watermellon mushroom). I tried to place it in the middle of the tank, and just have the 2 X96 watt Compact florescents on.

two questions:
Is this good placing for it?

and should I turn on the metal halides? I havent had them on because up to now I had no coral. I know mushrooms are low light corals. Keep these off until I get higher light corals?

Attachments

• mushrooms1.jpg
    mushrooms1.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 71
  • mushrooms2.jpg
    mushrooms2.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 71
Congrats!

Good placing, yep.

If you want to start running the MH you can slowly acclimate the mushrooms to them by giving them a little exposure everyday and working up to a normal day. That's up to you of course.

Agree... looks like good placement.

One thing to keep in mind with mushrooms is that they will wander/propagate in every direction from where you originally place them. Think of a slug wandering across the driveway... very slowly. And every 1/2" or so along the slug's trail, a baby slug appears months later. And then those slugs start wandering... you get the idea. If you have a "big picture" of how you want your tank to look coral-wise in a year's time, just factor that in. (Don't get me wrong... I love my 'shrooms - I just wish I had less of them!)

Hah thanks :) Thats partially why I got them. An 'easy' way to get more. I'm probably going to take this slow, to make sure I do it right, so no worries if I get a lot. I quite like the color of them! Thanks for the help :)

Back
Top Bottom