fish rubbing, flipping off of things in tank!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kristilynn

Aquarium Advice Regular
Have a 72 gl. bowfront,freash water tank. I ve had it since late 90's. Moved for the 3rd time in that many yrs in Sept. Fish all did good, no deaths. Have added some fish since then.I have 2 lg angles,3 cherry barbs,4 odessa barbs 3",3 blk skirt teatras,1 lg pleco 1 glass cat,5 wht finned tetras,8 neons. In the last week the barbs have been rubbing on stuff. i had been doing water changes once a month (is what i d learned way back when). Have never really check water values. Somehow Ive had great luck. Started with aquariums in my teens now late 50's. Since finding this site, how wrong I ve been. Made a 20% water change this morning. Checked ammonia, came back 0, nitrate came back 5 to 10. They are the only tests I have. Temp 75. Changed filter media in the 2 outside bio filters. Pastic plants. I use city tap water with condition. Thanks for any ideas

What filters you run? Change the cartridge completely??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ahhh... i know what's going on.. you've added lots of new stock and removed most of your bb colony.. mini cycle.. you're not testing nitrites and I'll bet that's what's causing the flashing.. perform a 50% wc and the mature tank should sort it out for you.. if nothing gets better than it could be a new nasty brought in by the new fish.. one step at a time though..

rubbing

I have the old filter cartridges in the sink yet. It was petty clean. Should I put them back in? Will do another water change.

Nah, it should have enough bb in the system as is.. if you're showing nitrates than its almost there.. do the large wc and it should be fine..

agree with Brook and in the future just ring out the filter cartridges in a bucket of tank water. Don't rinse them under the sink or throw them out. You can rinse the plastic parts in water. When they are starting to fall apart is when you replace them. When you do replace them only do 1 at a time

Back
Top Bottom