Florida findings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Retired_AF

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently went on a trip to Florida. My wifes brother lives there and he just covered his driveway and alarge part of his land in shells, much like many others down there do. I heard that you can find sharks teeth mixed in there sometimes, so I spent a lot of time looking for them. Result? Zero sharks teeth but a LOT of pretty much whole small shells similar to the larger varieties you see in souvenir shops. They were mostly intact, some having small holes where they were killed (possibly by starfish). In a park nearby there is a mangrove copse and I found some driftwood that looked interesting.

I brought them home and soaked the shells for a week in a bleach solution, then rinsed them thoroughly. I am STILL getting sand out of them, but I will keep working at it. The jar is filled with these shells. Here are some pics of a few of them, the quarter is there to compare sizes.

I am considering using the shells in my betta tanks, mostly for the illusion that they (the bettas) are much bigger than they really are.

Hopefully they wont make the water TOO hard, but I think they will be able to handle it.

I dont know what I am going to do with the driftwood, but it looked too cool to pass by. Here is a pic.

I can remember growing up in Daytona and finding sharks teeth everywhere. Even cut my feet on a few.

If you get to go back, try the Keys. I remember we used to go diving all the time and would find some just off shore.

If ur a diver and want to find some seriously large shark teeth, try going to Venice Beach on the west coast of Florida. U can do dives looking for Megalodon shark teeth, basically a super sized Great White that lived a couple million yrs ago. I did a dive there a couple of yrs ago and found a 3 1/2-4 inch shark tooth.

Oh and that drift wood is pretty sweet. Would look grew with some moss or ferns growing out of it.

I live in SW Florida and I've never seen sharks teeth in the shell gravel. However, if you go kayaking down the peace river and stop at some of the more shallow points you can find a TON of smaller shark teeth that are 1.5 inches and under. I used to go and come back with bags full.

Back
Top Bottom