Fry tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have approx 80 Dalmatian Molly fry in a 10 gal... Half are 12 days old and half are 2 days old...
Water is cloudy... How much of a partial water change can i do? 50% ??
These are my first two batches of fry so I'm really excited :)
I appreciate the help.
Want to go get test kits but can't for a few days... Car is in the shop..

I am no expert and not sure but if it were me, I might try a smaller water change to start. Perhaps something like 20% even if you have to do a couple changes a week.????

You have 80 fish in one 10 gallon tank? Were you able to fit any water in there?

LOL... yes.. They're about 1/4" .... Just turned white and are getting darker spots...Going to have to get 2 more tanks... One for birthing and one more so I can separate males/females.. For a total of 3 fry tanks... Wasn't expecting it, but with male to female ratio 1:4 and saving all the babies I'm over run.. Ahh! :)

Are you keeping the fry separated by species? You don't want to get to the point where you can bring them to the lfs and then end up that they've cross-bred.

I was planning on separating males/females when they're 4-6 wks old.. Everything ive read says they can reach sexual maturity approx 2 mths...
And when it's time to take to store to put equal amount of males/females in the container I transport in but only have dalmatian in one group and creamsicle in another..
Eventually there will be silver lyretail and black mollies also ..
Would that work out?
I've also read they can reach 2" around 2 mths... Is that your experience?

Male Adult:
Dalmatian Molly

Female Adults:
Silver lyretail Molly
Creamsicle lyretail Molly
Dalmatian Molly
Black Molly

Hmm ... Just realized and wondered....

If say my black female who has bred to my Dalmatian male has mixed fry some black, some spotted, do I split the fry for pet store as a certain amount of black Molly and certain amount of Dalmatian Molly? Everything I've read says most mollies in pet stores are mixed which is why some have some gold flecks or blue shades on them...

I'd just leave them mixed, it's not really crossbreeding or anything just a mixing of strains. However, if the store has their mollies segregated by strain then it'd be a good idea to do it as well as soon as possible.

Back
Top Bottom