HELP (on water change)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swissysrule

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I am a very bad fish owner! I have a long story to tell.
I have a 29 gal. freshwater tank. Last night before adding new water, I put in kordon Amquel plus ammonia detoxifier to the small pot of water. I added that water to tank.
I did not do a water change prior to adding water. And I did not read the directions.(stupid me) for how much ammonia detoxifier to put in. It also detoxifies nitrate, nitrite, clorine. & chloramines. I thought more was better.
So I woke up this morning to find quite a few dead fish. I was horrified! Only a handful survived.
Not knowing what happened.
I went back and read the directions on the kordon AmQuel Plus ammonia detoxifier.
I put in way to much the night
before. I should of used only 15ml. for 30 gallons. (Said 5 ml
per 10 gal.) I put in 40 ml. !!!

The bottle said can moderatly reduce oxygen levels. In the first hours after use. Be sure circulation/aeration is adequate. I have a hob filter for a 50 gal. tank & a bubble wand. DID I sufficate my POOR fish!! ???
I did a water check this morning with a API freshwater master test kit. The only thing that was off was the Nitrates. It read 160 ppm.
I am realativly new to fish keeping. I"ve had my set up over a year.
WHAT DID I DO WRONG ? I'm a fish killer. Help!

HELP

I need to add one thing to my long story. There are tons of bubbles at the water surface.

very large water changes and always read directions several times , never just assume more is better when adding chemicals , also add new carbon to your filter will help remove the toxins .

Last edited:
So do you think it is the nitrates or putting in too much ammomia detoxifier?
How can you check the oxygen levels?

The nitrates did not kill the fish IMO.
Nor did the amquel..I have used it before.
Not sure on the ammonia detox..
Have you ever changed water in the year or just top offs?
You have a toxic tank and large water changes are NOT the thing to do.
You need to rather quickly work up to large water changes..
You need to start with like 25% once or twice the first day or two.
Then you can go for 50% or larger.
160 is the highest the test go.Try using half as many drops and see what the reading is.Then multiply it by 2 if it is not 160...

Back
Top Bottom