Help Please!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mlpbarrett

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just picked up a Firefish Goby for my tank, have a blue damsel already, I am worried about problems with aggression, my lfs said it would be fine but I just put the firefish in and my damsel is appearing to brush him with his tail fin.....I don't want him to kill my new goby!

its always a possibility. sounds normal for damsels, proving dominance and territory. just observe closely for the next few days.

Ok, you don't think he could kill him overnight do you? I would rather have my Gobie then my damsel, my damsel was my first fish and though I am kind of attached to it I would rather take it to my LFS and get a guy who will be friendly, especially since I don't want to have trouble down the road, I am just worried if I should seperate them overnight, I don't want anything to happen while I am asleep...

i doubt that something will happen overnight, but once again ya never know. just monitor the tank. try to see if the damsel is nipping him or chasing him. might be time for the damsel to go. we'll see how it unfolds.

i doubt that something will happen overnight, but once again ya never know. just monitor the tank. try to see if the damsel is nipping him or chasing him. might be time for the damsel to go. we'll see how it unfolds.

thanks, he doesn't seem to be nipping or chasing him, just batting him with his fins, I will probably take him to the LFS tomorrow :( oh well, but I just can't have a mean fish in my tank!

gotta do wut u gotta do i guess. sux but in the long term u'll prbly be glad with your decision.

The damsel will harass anything new to the tank. If it was me, I'd take it back. The normal thinking is to add the least aggressive fish to a tank first, and then stock the more aggressive ones at the end. That way, the timid fish will feel like they own the place and not have to deal with getting used to a new environment AND dealing with a bully!

If you get to the last few fish to stock, and you still want a damsel, then that would probably be the time to add it back in the mix.

Well I got rid of the damsel today, gave it to my LFS that has some very impressive and CLEAN tanks, which is important to me. They put it in a tank that they sell coral and anemone's in, it seems very happy. and it is alone. :) Besides I got a new anemone WHICH I need help identifying! I can't seem to find it on the computer, the people told me what it was but I can't for the life of me remember now! I posted a pic in the new aquisitions page I think, but ill be posting one in the forum about identifying.

I agree with getting rid of the damsel. One thing in the future to do if you have any fighting when adding something new is to turn off the lights and move some of the rock around. This will cause your established fish to worry about something else other than the new fish.

Back
Top Bottom