HELP rescue betta!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homedog98

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, so I rescued a male Betta today, and wanted to know if I could add it to my ten gallon tank with three black skirt tetras. The tank is in the process of cycling, and I know it probably will get thrown off by a new addition. I haven't introduced him yet but I couldn't let the poor guy get flushed! HELP!!! I won't introduce him until I get a response, so as not to mess this up.

Do you have anything else? I'm not sure if the tetras would nip his fins or not.

If you look at my thread about my new Betta Patriot, you will see that until I get a divider within the next couple of days, I was forced to put Patriot in a very very TEMPORARY gallon bowl. If you have something that can be temporary it might work.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

Nope. But I can get a tank divider if it doesn't work. Would I be ok to try it? Just so long as I watch him

I wouldn't get a divider because 5 gals isn't enough for tetras.

Well, after some thinking, I have a small PWC bucket I can put him in temporarily, is there any way I can maximize my chances of it working out?

Ok, just acclimated and put him in. So far knock on wood nothings gone wrong. He seems to be resting on the bottom a lot... Is he just settling in?

He has started to swim more, but he was resting almost like he was dizzy. He ate a little bit, which was good, but He seemed really scared of the tetras when feeding. I Worked around that by dropping in a few flakes on one side of the tank, and snuck little fin a flake while the tetras where busy being pigs. I'll see what they look like in the morning. I'll also do a water change depending on condition of them, as my water wasn't exactly "perfect". Hoping for the best!

Thanks, And one more thing... Do they need special food? The fish came with Betta food, but I didn't know if he needed it or not. He ate my tetra's tetramin flakes just fine, and they liked his Betta flakes just fine too!

I always feed the Betta food just cause it's Betta food, but I actually don't know. Sorry.

Bettatalk.com

I find it a must for anyone who owns bettas. Give it a look.

Ok. Elvis, (his new name) survived the night with flying colors. This morning he's swimming around the tank, and the three tetras don't even care. No aggression yet! (he dies fight with himself in his reflection though!)

Yup that's a Betta thing. My bettas do it all the time once when my brother was in charge of feeding while I was on vacation, he called freaking out that there was something wrong with my fish. He was just fighting with his reflection!

Well, little Elvis is about to experience his first water change. I'll post back in a minute and see what happens!

Well, he started swimming around a lot once I got the new stuff in, then went and hid behind the heater. He's started to come out more though. Pretty good in my opinion, considering he's been in solitary confinement his whole life.

Just checked out that site. Very informative! The minute I get the chance my little Elvis is getting freeze dried brine shrimp! How often do I feed the brine shrimp? And freeze dried bloodworms for that matter... After all that I really feel like im feeding my fish McDonalds every freaking day!

here he is... presenting... the king of rock and roll... Elvis!!! (crowd cheers!) sorry about the quality... dads iphone.

Attachments

• image-901404329.jpg
    image-901404329.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 72
  • image-2052753363.jpg
    image-2052753363.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 61
  • image-2018381860.jpg
    image-2018381860.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 50
Back
Top Bottom