Helppppp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SmileyKylie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 15 gallon tank with with three black skirt tetras and recently got 3 dwarf gourami. The tétras have become very nippy. What should I do?!?!?

Change more water, and check if you have too many males / need more females!

What are the water parameters?
Ammonia
NitrIte
NitrAte

pH
GH/KH
TDS if you have them?

How long has the tank been set up? If you do not have a fully cycled tank or beneficial bacteria /BB you will need to get a better amount of BB grown to further the nitrification cycle. It is very possible since adding the bigger fish you have tipped the tank towards the unsafe zone on your parameters.

They can get unsettled when poor water quality, and also when there is an off ratio for males and females. 1:1 M to F ratio, but often better with 1:2 (or 3) females.

If you need so good basics for happy tank keeping, read the article link in my signature.

And for the time being do a couple water changes, say 1/3rd and then do another 1/3rd in the same day, soon to a few hours later.

If you do not have a test kit, then do another 1/3rd the next day, and order a kit or go in and get the water tested.

The big box stores will price match supplies and foods according to their rules with their same company online prices or their same kind competitor. FYI saves you $$. But if you have a good lfs you are working with, try and support them!

Back
Top Bottom