How to feed bottom tier?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TriciaK

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Help please!

I’ve added a school of 12 neon tetras to my 55 gallon tank. I have 9 larger tetra in there. So far no harassment of the little guys after 5 days. However, the neons are still quite young and hanging in safety in the bottom third of the tank. How can I best provide food for them? The larger tetras hang in the top third of the tank and gobble most all the food before it can drop (high quality flakes, bloodworms, brine shrimp, etc.).

:thanks:
Tricia

If you hold a pinch of food slightly below the water it should sink quicker when you release it and get some food past the larger tetras down to the bottom of the tank to the neons.

Help please!

I’ve added a school of 12 neon tetras to my 55 gallon tank. I have 9 larger tetra in there. So far no harassment of the little guys after 5 days. However, the neons are still quite young and hanging in safety in the bottom third of the tank. How can I best provide food for them? The larger tetras hang in the top third of the tank and gobble most all the food before it can drop (high quality flakes, bloodworms, brine shrimp, etc.).

:thanks:
Tricia

I'm "old school" ;) and like to use the basic Turkey Baster to get food quickly to the bottom feeding fish or others that like to hang out lower in the tank. You can pick one up for about $1 at the outlet stores. You feed the fish normally on top then squirt your baster full of food to the bottom and everybody is eating. (y)(y)

On a side note, make sure you get your own baster for the fish. Don't mix it with the one(s) you use for the Thanksgiving Turkey. ;) :lol: (y)

This is awesome! I had no clue about either of those ideas. I’ll use the pinch for flakes and the baster for bloodworms and other squishy stuff.

The Neon Crew thank you both very much!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom