I want to start a 55g sw tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tdukes22

Aquarium Advice Activist
I want to know what I need to start it like what I need for the tank an how long I should let it cycle and etc

Well, what are you going to keep? Fish only, Fish with live rock, corals? This will determine what you will really need. For example if you are going to keep corals your lighting needs are going to be higher, in both light and cost. Are you going to add a sump and refugium? What kind of fish? All these things and more will determine what you need. As for the cycle, I went fishless cycle, and this can take a couple of weeks and up.

Steve

sdergar said:
Well, what are you going to keep? Fish only, Fish with live rock, corals? This will determine what you will really need. For example if you are going to keep corals your lighting needs are going to be higher, in both light and cost. Are you going to add a sump and refugium? What kind of fish? All these things and more will determine what you need. As for the cycle, I went fishless cycle, and this can take a couple of weeks and up.

Steve

I want to put coral and nice rocks n maybe some shells n etc also I want to put some type of plants but I just want to get the general idea before I go buy another tank cuz I have a fw tank now I want a sw one too and I know they are different and wanted to see how much so

The tank can be the same, unless there has been copper medication used in the tank. If you are going with a sump/refugium, which I would recommend, I would get a reef ready tank, which means it is drilled to drain into a sump/refugium. The differences I found are great. I started with fresh water myself and found that it is so much more involved. I liked that. But very expensive and without a lot of research you are going to waste a lot of money. Live rock, protein skimmers, corals, fish all cost a pretty dollar in sw aquariums. Even the water and salt mixes. I had a budget but realized very quickly it should have been higher. I would also recommend an RO/DI unit for your water. There are ways to keep the costs down but you don't want to go so cheap as too jeopardize the livestock.

Lots of great people here at this website but you need to do a lot of research and take your time and do it right the first time. It was at least two weeks before I had water in my tank and then another three weeks of cycle before I even put my clean up crew in there (crabs, shrimp, snails). Take your time, ask lots of questions, read, read, read...and then read some more.

Steve

sdergar said:
The tank can be the same, unless there has been copper medication used in the tank. If you are going with a sump/refugium, which I would recommend, I would get a reef ready tank, which means it is drilled to drain into a sump/refugium. The differences I found are great. I started with fresh water myself and found that it is so much more involved. I liked that. But very expensive and without a lot of research you are going to waste a lot of money. Live rock, protein skimmers, corals, fish all cost a pretty dollar in sw aquariums. Even the water and salt mixes. I had a budget but realized very quickly it should have been higher. I would also recommend an RO/DI unit for your water. There are ways to keep the costs down but you don't want to go so cheap as too jeopardize the livestock.

Lots of great people here at this website but you need to do a lot of research and take your time and do it right the first time. It was at least two weeks before I had water in my tank and then another three weeks of cycle before I even put my clean up crew in there (crabs, shrimp, snails). Take your time, ask lots of questions, read, read, read...and then read some more.

Steve

Yes I will defiantly do so but where do u find tanks with drill holes in them because I have no clue where to get them

Tdukes22 said:
Yes I will defiantly do so but where do u find tanks with drill holes in them because I have no clue where to get them

Also I will do alot of reading and research too because I want to finish hooking up my fw tank first then moving on to salt water but I wAnt to do my research early because I might start my sw tank in the summer or early fall

sdergar said:
You can get reef ready tanks at any LFS. Sometimes they have one instock and other tImes they'll have to order it.

Steve

But what are the names on them and do they cone with the lighting fixtures and the holes and etc ppl tell me about

Not sure on the names, I think mine is a Marineland brand, but if you walk into your LFS and ask for a reef ready tankk they will show you what's available. You can also drill your own however you HAVE TO MAKE SURE that the glass is not tempered. As for lights that will depend on what you want to keep. They can range from $100 up to a $1000 and beyond. This is where your research comes in. Take a trip to the LFS. Look at online retailers, etc.

sdergar said:
Not sure on the names, I think mine is a Marineland brand, but if you walk into your LFS and ask for a reef ready tankk they will show you what's available. You can also drill your own however you HAVE TO MAKE SURE that the glass is not tempered. As for lights that will depend on what you want to keep. They can range from $100 up to a $1000 and beyond. This is where your research comes in. Take a trip to the LFS. Look at online retailers, etc.

I will but reef ready tanks has holes already or no

Back
Top Bottom