Is 3-weeks enough to quarantine fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boffer

Aquarium Advice Regular
So my 5 Panda Corys has been quarantined in 3-weeks is it safe for me to put them in my main tank? they all look healthy

In my main tank I lost 4 of my guppys, I think you was off overfeeding, but now there is only two guppys and one Catfish Dwarf suckers, I am worried about if the bacteria will die out if I don't put more fish in what do you guys think about it?

Well, the bacteria won't die out if there's a source of ammonia. It might become a smaller colony but it won't disappear or anything. Three week quarantine is pretty good. If there's no sign of any health issues I think you're probably good. Especially if you did a general med run to get rid of the common stuff. However, if your fish in your main tank died you might want to test your water before and regularly after to ensure the quality stays good.

Thanks for the answer I think their swim bladder got sick because I Feeded them too much, I said them what they should eat in 5-minutes

After Feeded them nothing then peas one of them survive off the 5th there was sick.

The cories have No signs of disease
Also I have one guppy that was totally normal all the time, and the Catfish Dwarf suckers also is totally healthy.

I took the video off the one that was sick and now is more healthy, but it's still like not that active and still a bit bloated but light does not tilt up all the time as it was 1 weeks ago.

Hello Bof...

As long as your main tank is extremely clean, you can introduce your new fish. The chances of a virus or parasite infecting a healthy fish in pure water conditions is very remote.

B

How is the tank going and all the fish?

Well my fish is doing good, the guppies is acting normal, but i got some fish form a friend, and put them in quarantine tank, one of them is stick has swim bladder disease it can't swim straight, add a new video of it

My friend said it has acted like this for a long time 1 year, i have tried to give it pears, and put a little salt in the water, but it has not helped, what's your I do to help it? when will it be safe to put into my main tank?

What are you aquarium water parameters?\

pH
ammonia
NitrIte and
NitrAte
any others if you have the tests?

Fish can act like that if they are ill, but also if the pH is off as well.

Did you mean fed peas, the vegetable? Blanching / par boiling peas or using canned ones will be something a fish might need to get used to eating.

You can try the inside part of the round pea. Let the fish be hungry, as in do not feed for a day.

Then feed the pea maybe with a particle of the fish food in it. 1 part to start.

This will allow the fish to see it as food and something it is more used to eating.

If the fish does eat it, then try one more with the food in it.

Also a squeeze of the juice from a clove of garlic, like a garlic press can make the food more palatable. So you could add that as well, if the other isn't eaten. Or just because garlic is good for ill fish.

There is also a food with probiotics in it you could try. They have a small pellet for these type fish. I recently got it and my fish like it.

Yeah he got very bad quality of water, most of his fish died, he did not clean it, and did not feed them, I pretty much save them.

Water:
Kh : 20
GH : 20
Ph 8
Ammonia : 0
Nitrit : 0
Nitrat : 18

Temperature:
24 C

Yes peas, and its eating right away when I put it in.
I will try to put garlic juice on the food.

Can i give it a small piece of garlic ore will it bee better whit only the juice ?

I would like to try it, but where do you buy it?

The food was purchased online but some local fish stores /lfs might carry it or order it.

It seems not everyone knows about it yet.

The food is produced from a very reputable fish food company.

As for the garlic, it is potent, and maybe mincing or using a garlic press can help get the size of the pieces tiny. If the fish nibbles it, garlic is also good to aid against internal parasites.

Thanks for the answers, i will do as you describe.
I have also put some decor and live plants in the quarantine tank, hopefully that will help them not to be stressed.

Attachments

• IMG_20200315_210214.jpg
    IMG_20200315_210214.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20200315_210225.jpg
    IMG_20200315_210225.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 34
It just looks like the spine has broken, if you look at the picture, I don't know if it's suffering or not :/

Attachments

• IMG_20200315_210225f.jpg
    IMG_20200315_210225f.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 73
Could be missing nutrients in its diet, or have internal parasites. Other causes but these are 2 big ones. The plants will help your water quality and also give the fish a hiding place to feel more secure.

When they do not have tank mates and able to shoal together they also get nervous. The other fish are like their security blanket. I am not implying you need more of these fish, but if it isn't sick and can go with the others later, then it will also feel better too.

As you mentioned it wasn't fed well previously or in good quality water, so getting good nutrition and clean water will help it have a better live, even if it isn't necessarily going to be a long life (if it doesn't really get better it is likely to have a shortened life span). Happy to help.

Thanks for answer, hopefully it will get better whit the tips you have given me, I'll try to give it as good life as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
A little update, the fish has not improved, what should I do next now, I don't know if it's safe for me to put it in the main tank, if it has parasites is not a good thing, but what should I do next, other what I have done?

Do i just put it in my main tank, im just worried about, that its sickness will make the other fish sick, should I take the chance?

Back
Top Bottom