Ive got a choice to make

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homedog98

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm going to petsmart today and need to decide what to get. I have right now three black skirt tetras and a male guppy. Im eventually gonna have 6 of them and 4-6 zebra danios, but I'm not sure which to buy today. I'm definitely gonna get a female guppy, but I don't know wether to get 3 more black skirts, or three or four zebra danios. What would you guys do?

How big is the tank and what other livestock is already in it?
I'm a saltie, but figured I'd get the information that others will want to know.
Feeling better I see.

10 gallon, but that's temporary. It's gonna be a 29 gallon this summer. Right now I just have 3 black skirts, and a male guppy.

10 gallon, but that's temporary. It's gonna be a 29 gallon this summer. Right now I just have 3 black skirts, and a male guppy.
Personally I'd get the black skirts for a tank that size - I currently have 2 danios - they really need space to chase each other - I have a 46gal. The black skirts school more and don't chase each other. JMO

Cool! Well, as it turns out, i just got the male guppy, since the idiot at the pet store believed in the 1 inch per gallon rule, and wouldn't sell me 3 more tetras. I hate being 13!

IMO is wait until you upgrade. Would you be ready to do daily water changes if something was to go wrong with the ammonia or nitrates until you are able to upgrade?

Ya, but it still stinks. It's not so much that he said I couldn't have it, it was more his reasoning for it. I mean honestly! The inch per gallon rule basically states that you can keep a common pleco in a 24 gallon tank!

Cool! Well, as it turns out, i just got the male guppy, since the idiot at the pet store believed in the 1 inch per gallon rule, and wouldn't sell me 3 more tetras. I hate being 13!

I know what you mean, as I'm a 14 year old girl. The 20 year old guy at the lfs told me bolivian rams will get to about 8 inches and will eat my platy. I was just thinking, "Um, no, it will get to 3 inches and is a peaceful community fish."

About the fish though, I'd just wait until you upgrade in the summer. You don't want them to be cramped, and you don't want them to all be stressed when you move them from the 10 to the 29.

Homedog98 said:
Ya. Still just irked me.

yeah ii hear you just because were young dosent mean were ingorant befer i get into a hobby ii drown my self with info for months

Sent from my Vortex using Aquarium

Homedog98 said:

I think I would tell that imbecile that it's my tank and if I want to 'overstock' I can. I would tell them that they could either have my business or I would go to a competitor's store. Or I would wait for another employee to come to help me, and not say anything about current stock. Sorry that they deprived you of your fish, and I hate it too when people think they know more about a hobby- that I DO know more about- just because I'm young. Well people tell me I'm a pretty intelligent and mature youngun.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

Ya, I almost did that... But my dad was right there the whole time, and would have murdered me for being rude to an (ignorant) adult.

Tropical said:
I know what you mean, as I'm a 14 year old girl. The 20 year old guy at the lfs told me bolivian rams will get to about 8 inches and will eat my platy. I was just thinking, "Um, no, it will get to 3 inches and is a peaceful community fish."

About the fish though, I'd just wait until you upgrade in the summer. You don't want them to be cramped, and you don't want them to all be stressed when you move them from the 10 to the 29.

Haha I'm also 14 and I thought it was just me who gets the crappy lfs workers.

from, Adam

I think you shouldn't be so quick to judge. Most LFS and corporate store workers are ignorant on the other side--letting equally ignorant people overstock or kill their fish with ammonia. If there's a work that's concerned about proper stocking, it's a step in the right direction.

I understand what you mean but, they can't be so quick to think you are a person who wants to put a tang in a fishbowl. I do admit some of my lfs clerks are getting to understand it and since I am a regular customer I have seen their improvement. I was there before them.

from, Adam

I see your point as well. Just understand though, that the average pre-teen/early teen isn't going to know as much as you do. So, don't expect the respect you haven't yet earned. Age might not equal experience, but you can't blame fish store workers for being wary.

Ya your right but I really wish I could start working there so I could turn it around. I really am thinking about going on a waiting list so when I'm able to drive I'll be at the top of the list.

from, Adam

I would like to but then I won't be able to get into the golden gloves. ( it is the state championship for boxing.)

from, Adam

Back
Top Bottom