Kribensis with guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

burnzee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I'm hoping for some advice I have had my 2 kribensis (1 male and 1 female) for a little over a year I don't think they are a pair or are going to pair up. I have had barbs in with them for a while. Since moving in with my other half she has been non stop nagging claiming she wants some 'pretty fish' besides that I have been tempted to leave her for insinuating my kribs and barbs are ugly it's all about compromise (apparently ) so I am agreeing to get rid of my barbs and get some platies and guppies and other community fish similar. I am however not happy that after agreeing this I may have to get rid of my kribs I have a 40 gallon tank and as mentioned they have never reproduced in over a year. What I would like to know is in a big tank with plenty of hiding places etc. are my beautiful kribs going to eat her guppies or if there is a good mixture in there will they be ok? Please someone get back to me before Saturday with some sensible and practical advice. Otherwise it looks like my kribs will be moving out :-(

Also another thought. If guppies are a no no what other 'pretty' additions could I make that will obviously get on with my kribs, and barbs ideally some live bearers would be great as we'll any suggestions and advice really appreciated.

Also another thought. If guppies are a no no what other 'pretty' additions could I make that will obviously get on with my kribs, and barbs ideally some live bearers would be great as we'll any suggestions and advice really appreciated.

Dalmation mollies, i have a beautiful orange hi fin platy, also a rarity but the humpbacked limia or wrestling halfbeaks. They are nicknamed "the forgotten livebearers"

How about mollies or sword tails ? I don't think the Kribs will bother the guppies but since they're so small it could be a problem.

Thanks for your help! after much thought and googling I have been considering the following convince the boss to forget about getting guppies and gradually build up a tank of:
Cherry barb 2
Green tiger barb 2
Tiger barb 2
Silver shark 3
Dwarf guarami 2
Angelfish 2
Mollies 6
Swordtails 6
Platies 6
Galaxy rasboras 6
Zebra danio 3
Leopard danio 2
Clown loach 1
Glass catfish 2
Kribensis 2
Pleco 1

Does anyone see any problems with these that I have missed? Or should these all be OK? I have googled like a mad man and I think this gives us the variety, colours and some that breed easily.

Any thoughts and advice greatly appreciated again. Thanks so much

Thanks for your help! after much thought and googling I have been considering the following convince the boss to forget about getting guppies and gradually build up a tank of:
Cherry barb 2
Green tiger barb 2
Tiger barb 2
Silver shark 3
Dwarf guarami 2
Angelfish 2
Mollies 6
Swordtails 6
Platies 6
Galaxy rasboras 6
Zebra danio 3
Leopard danio 2
Clown loach 1
Glass catfish 2
Kribensis 2
Pleco 1

Does anyone see any problems with these that I have missed? Or should these all be OK? I have googled like a mad man and I think this gives us the variety, colours and some that breed easily.

The cherry barbs, tiger barbs (both varieties combined), clown loach, and glass fish are all schooling fish so they need to be in groups of at least 5. Other than that though I don't see a problem.

Thanks for the reply is that not pushing the size of the tank abit though getting 5 of glass fish a 5 loaches? I've heard loaches will go with tiger barbs as one of the pack and with my green tiger barbs that would make 6 total?

I don't believe fish of different species school together unless they don't have any other option. Some company of their own would be ideal. And as long as you're keeping up with the weekly maintenance I don't believe you would have a problem.

Hi I'm hoping for some advice I have had my 2 kribensis (1 male and 1 female) for a little over a year I don't think they are a pair or are going to pair up. I have had barbs in with them for a while. Since moving in with my other half she has been non stop nagging claiming she wants some 'pretty fish' besides that I have been tempted to leave her for insinuating my kribs and barbs are ugly it's all about compromise (apparently ) so I am agreeing to get rid of my barbs and get some platies and guppies and other community fish similar. I am however not happy that after agreeing this I may have to get rid of my kribs I have a 40 gallon tank and as mentioned they have never reproduced in over a year. What I would like to know is in a big tank with plenty of hiding places etc. are my beautiful kribs going to eat her guppies or if there is a good mixture in there will they be ok? Please someone get back to me before Saturday with some sensible and practical advice. Otherwise it looks like my kribs will be moving out :-(

Do like I did with my hubby, tell her to get her own tank with the fish SHE wants in it and to leave your tank alone. End of discussion :)

Cherry barb 2
Green tiger barb 2
Tiger barb 2
Silver shark 3
Dwarf guarami 2
Angelfish 2
Mollies 6
Swordtails 6
Platies 6
Galaxy rasboras 6
Zebra danio 3
Leopard danio 2
Clown loach 1
Glass catfish 2
Kribensis 2
Pleco 1

Id drop the tiger barbs, their mean little fellas. Galaxy rasbora are tiny and will get eaten by your kribs. Danios are nice hardy fish but don't have the color your wife wants. Glass cats will get lost in the tank.

I'd go with

1 angelfish
3 gourami of choice
2 kribs
6 livebearers of choice
6 Cory catfish
10 cherry barbs
1 Bn pleco

I think this is a much more balanced out stock list that would make both you and your wife happy. The one you listed is just to much.

Thanks for all your advice! The update is we are going to go for a few livebearers and some gouramis, the barbs are leaving us on Saturday! And the Kribs stay! Also we are in talks only talks about the possibility of a secondary Malawi cichlid tank later in the year :) (haven't mentioned the size it would have to be yet) fingers crossed I will either end up with a community tank and a gorgeous Malawi tank or I will end up single in a one bedroom flat and carry the nickname of 'the crazy fish man'

Back
Top Bottom