Lamprologus Multifasciatus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mentallylost

Aquarium Advice Freak
Recently my son and I were in Austin TX, and we stopped by a usually pretty cool LFS. Knowing that I wanted a shell dweller species, I let him pick them out. He chose Multi's and I am happy with the choice. I love their personality. Alone in a tank were 5 of these cute little fish. I told my son that we could have 3 (the largest and the 2 smallest). At $9.99 per fish I thought that I was getting a good deal. The deal got a whole lot better when the fish keeper told me that he would through in the other 2 for FREE! So home we went with our 5 first shell dwellers and a dozen shells. I couldn't wait.

So here is where "the good deal" turns sour. It turns out that all 5 of them were male! Not 4 male and 1 female. All male! "How do I know this " you ask? Because female Multies do not get to be almost 2 inches long. Females max out at 1 inch. Males get to be 2." All 5 are now the same size. Almost 2 inches! Last week I ventured into another LFS and just happened to come across a tank full of Multies. Man, can you really see the difference in sexes when they are all full grown and together in the tank. So, today I pulled 2 of my males (tried to get 3) out, brought them to Austin, and exchanged them for 3 females.

So now what did I learn after thinking that my Multies were acting weird? That a subdominant male will go through the motions of a female with a dominant male. They do that whole tail wagging thing, and even guard the shell the way that a female does.
But now I have 3 males and 3 females. They have been together in the 80 gallon tank for about 3 hours now. And I have never seen them act quite like this before. All 3 females have taken shells and 2 of the males will not leave them alone.

They're a bunch of bullies. They don't seem to like the idea of another fish swimming to close to their territory. They keep the Daffodil's, Julie, and Cylindricus away. They don't seem to mind the Tropheus though. They are the only other fish that the multies let swim within 5 or so inches of their personal shells. These are truly a fascinating secies to watch.

The deal just got a whole lot better. When the fish were put into the bag yesterday, I watched. I watched as 1 female swam into a shell and the whole shell was just picked up and placed into the bag. I next watched as 2 more female multies were placed into the bag as well. I brought them home, floated them for about 20 minutes and let them go in the tank. Today, while watching my new multies, I noticed 4 females! Not 3 like it was supposed to be! There must have been a stowaway hiding in the shell. Must be my lucky day! You gotta love that LFS.

Sitting in the recliner this evening, I looked over into the tank and saw babies swimming right there next to me. 4 of them, poking in and out of their momma's shell. It was so cool. My Multies had babies!

I got a free Multi that way too! They do have great behaviors and reproduce quickly. The fry are just little eye balls and gut for the longest time.

Back
Top Bottom