Marimo moss ball

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tomd500

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey, i have a 10g (us gal) thats planted, filtered for 20g, and has 1 betta, 1 ghost shrimp, and a small marimo moss ball. I bought my moss ball on impulse and dont know much about them at all, if some one could refer me somewhere or respond with useful advice thatd be great :)!
Thanks everyone!

From the ones I know that are hopefully the same thing. They don't really need much light and every now and again you should squeeze it to rinse it out and that's all I know

Moss balls and shrimp are a great combo and as was said, just squeeze it out every now and then. Just keep them away from goldfish, they'll eat them up like a kid with a free hand in a candy store lol.

Lol, thank you, will it grow? I like thebig ones, but rather spend patients than money lol

Marimo balls are awesome. That's the only plant I like to keep my with fish because it doesn't cause a mess and provides O2 for my fish. Moss balls are pretty expensive though.

One thing to note about marimo moss balls is given enough time and water current, you'll likely have clado growing on other surfaces in the tank eventually. I didn't notice it in mine till about a year or so after adding moss balls to one of the tanks, but I now have cladophora algae (what the moss is made of) attached and growing to a few objects in the tank.

Will amanos, or any other algea eating shrimp eat this? Would my vampire filter pieces out of the water and eat it?

hippy guy said:
Will amanos, or any other algea eating shrimp eat this? Would my vampire filter pieces out of the water and eat it?

They'll pick at it IME. My amano, ghost, RCS & CRS go after the ones I have in 3 tanks and they keep them nice and clean. If you have goldfish and their anything like mine, they'll tear it to shreds lol.

Back
Top Bottom