Moose antler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DugOut

Aquarium Advice Regular
I came up with an idea for my freash water tank and would like some opinions of the thought! I was watching a nature channel on television about northern moose and was admiring all the driftwood laying along a large lake in Canada, all of a sudden the camera focused up on a large moose antler laying in the water that was lost in battle. :idea: Is it possible to put an antler in an aquarium? When the antler was picked up out of the water for a closer view, there were fish hiding under it as like a piece of driftwood.

I'll have to find a place to get one inorder to test it. I don't recall ever hearing of anyone using one for decoration. I think it would look natural as can be!?

ooooo! very nice find :D I second the idea of getting a test bucket and watching the perameters for a while

I was just looking over Ebay and the (whitetail deer antlers) look even better. Standing up right, they look like two branching limbs. Or laying on thier face, they look like roots of a small tree stump. I would link inorder to show ya but I'm not sure how!?

you can just highlight the url (the "www.____.com" part) and press down ctrl c for just a second to copy the link, then when you post you can paste the link by pressing ctrl v. Or, you can use your mouse after highlighting the url and go into Edit, Copy. Then click in the box for posting and go up to Edit and click on Paste.

How do I go about testing other than letting it set in a bucket of water? Should I then take the water to Petsmart to have it tested. I'm not sure what all I should be looking for. I have a native fish if that makes any differance. I definately don't want to harm my fish!

I would also put an airstone in the bucket just to make sure the water doesn't go stail from sitting still and get that nasty skin on top. *bleck*

Your right, I do need to get my own test kit. I spend more money than that just running back and forth to Petsmart in a week. I guess they suckerd me in with the free water testing. Everyone likes the word free.I plan to do alot with my aquarium within the next few weeks. Hopefully things test good. we'll soon see!

Actually, I may have my hopes up high for nothing. I don't even know if antlers will sink or swim. If I follow through with the Idea due to thinking it would really be a great backwoods lake center piece, I will definitly parameter test it in a bucket of water first. My bass and I have came a long ways together! "If the test fails" Is there some type of aquarium epoxy that I could coat it with inorder to still use it in the tank???
Sorry for so many questions, I feel I'm on to something big! :bulb:

Oh Yeh, I never knew that. Does make since! I guess there wouldn't be any other way than to epoxy cover it. I know very little about epoxys.
Does epoxy or any other non-toxic aquarium safe glue come in a clear coat? And in time doesn't become brittle or weathers to a gray tone.

Would this maybe help?

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/management/Ali_Bogwood.html

The poly-varnish method is as follows: -
1. Thoroughly wash the bogwood under a tap, sterilise if necessary, and then leave to dry for a day or two.

2. Visit your local D.I.Y. store and acquire a product called 'Polyurethane varnish paint.' This pure clear varnish will lock in the bogwood tannin. Please note yacht varnish is also sold for this process but this should be avoided as it will harm all types of aquatic livestock. (It is actually manufactured to prevent mussels attaching themselves to boat hulls).

3. Use the poly-varnish once then leave to dry for a day, and repeat this for another two days (three days altogether). This makes the bogwood airtight.

The effects are no fungus, no release of tannin and no worries about alteration of pH.

As with all things that are good at face value there is a setback with this process in that the bogwood can no longer produce microorganisms or 'lignin'. Lignin is particularly important to many species of Loricarins (catfishes, particularly Panaque species) as it aids their digestion and meets certain nutritional requirements science does still not fully understand. Microorganisms add beneficial bacteria to the gut processes of many Loricarins also.

Thanks alot lonewolfblue, I wish I could find this stuff on the web! I am so under educated on the different types of products that are non-toxic to aquariums. Things such as bonding glues, paints, clays etc.

Back
Top Bottom