My Clownfish TWITCHING?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChelseazFishiez

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, so I have 2 ocelarris clowns in a 10 gal. tank. And so They're really little and one of it doesn't have all it's stripes yet.. And I just put them in the tank maybe 5 days ago.. And BOTH of them are twitching sometimes... Just when the bigger one was gonna pick on the smaller fish, it twitched about 4 time :S I heard that's what happens when it mates, but I highly doubt it.. :( plz help THANKS!~

Oh, and I've switched its diet cuzz it really didn't like its older 1. It said its for tropical fish, but there's a pic of a sw fish on it.. :( thnx!!!

Fish naturally twitch and move really weird. So i would not worry about it, it has only been 5 days.

clownfish won't start mating after 12~24months old. cuz they need to be physical muture before they change their sex.
I doubt they r mating since you said theres tiny one that doesn't even have all its stripes yet.
if they r the same size, you might see them fighting in the future, cuz they need to fight out who is gonna be the female, (if one is bigger, they will probably forget the fighting and the bigger one will become female)
then they will bond together.
if water condition and other requirements r good, then they will start mating and lay eggs.

so +2 its natural that they twitch something.

here is a really good article for pairing clowns and how they mate.
Forming pair bonds in clownfish - a knol by Anonymous

Yep thats a spawning gesture. They might not be spawning yet but the one that is doing the twitching is more than likely the male. Mine does it too. Normally towards the foot of their anemone. Thats where they lay their eggs.

Back
Top Bottom