My first tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Locky

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Got out the other day and bought a new tank (the biggest I could afford... At this time)

Its a about 8.5 gallons (US) Thats how much water i put in after gravel, rocks etc)

with it i got an elite stingray 10 Underwater filter and an elite submersible 50w Heater (not sure if im gonna use at all, depends on the fish we want/tank suitable for)

Whats suitable for this tank (fish wise).

In the store they had a tank similar to the size of mine and had guppys, neon tetra, another type of tetra, a small balck stripe fish, some snails. Which I really liked the look of. But the other half really likes Mollies and guppys, which I'm not keen on as mollies grow to about 4 inchs which means we cant have 'lots' of fish!.

Any suggestions on other fish suitable?

Thanks

I'm guessing it's a 10 USG? I think mollies are out. They can get rather large, and as you say, with 4", you could have two and that's it.

With neons + guppies, you could have 4-5 of each, or go with 6 neons and a trio of guppies. I'd recommend not getting both girls and boys--you'll have no room for fry. I'd even go so far as to recommend 1-3 males (so you don't bring home a pregnant girl), and then neons to bring your total fish to 10 overall.

its an 8.5 us gallon. As thats all i could afford at the time (im thinking about getting a bigger tank in the next year)

Back
Top Bottom