My male mollies are trying to mate with my oscar fish? Surely this is not normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris1987notts

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My male mollies are trying to mate with my oscar fish? Surely this is not normal?

Wow I have never heard of this ! This is pretty weird! Your not suppose to cross breed or whatever it is called but I wonder if the Oscar will be preggers ^_^

Oscars are egg layers and Mollies are livebearers. Male livebearers tend to go after anything moving in the tank when they are 'in the mood', so it's not that unusual for them to try. However, once the oscar gets some size on it he could just make a quick snack out of them and be done with it.

Iv had some real strang goings on in my tank. I had 2 male mollies and one female molly. I new the sex for sure was correct. I now have 3 male Molly's. My female has turned male.??? I'm so confused. And now Iv just brought my Oscar. The Molly that used to be female and the biggest original male Molly. Are just constantly trying to mate with the Oscar?? Help plz

Oscars and mollies are a bad mix. each should have their own tank. As already said the problem will resolve itself in a short time, once the Oscar grows a little

Like people already said, a lot of livebearer males will try to mate with anything, so you aren't likely going to be able to stop it until the oscar eats the mollies someday (if they all stay in the same tank together once the oscar grows).

There is some evidence of livebearing fish perhaps being able to switch genders. I have not been able to find much hard evidence about it, but it is certainly not uncommon to hear about, especially females who turn into males.

Chris1987notts said:
Iv had some real strang goings on in my tank. I had 2 male mollies and one female molly. I new the sex for sure was correct. I now have 3 male Molly's. My female has turned male.??? I'm so confused. And now Iv just brought my Oscar. The Molly that used to be female and the biggest original male Molly. Are just constantly trying to mate wtith the Oscar?? Help plz
The most likely thing is that it was a late bloomer, since they all look like females when young.

Back
Top Bottom