My New Discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FawnN

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just got this awesome looking Discus this afternoon.

img_501739_0_18d6305ee1b746f75ae08139617e3245.jpg

Thanks guys. I actually picked up two, but the other one hasn't come to the front yet. He is beautiful too. He's the color of the blue sky.

BTW, does anyone know how to sex these? I know it's quite difficult, but I'm looking for a challenge and would like to breed them. :D

Well how are the new additions doing Fawn? How large are they? :D

Sexing discus can't be done accurately until the breeding tubes are visible. From a few years of observations I get a clue based on behavior. This is only my theory.. Since the females reach sexual maturity at a younger age, they are usually the more aggressive discus in a tank of younger discus. As for breeding, we can have lots of discussions. LOL

Hi Brian,

I don't know how I missed this post. Anyways, I've just noticed that my discus in the picture is actually doing some funky things. I saw, what looks like a breeding tube when he(?) went sideways and did some shaking towards my other discus.

What are some mating rituals for discus??

The two new additions have pretty much taken over the tank. The first 2 discus I got before (the one in my avatar) have been getting picked on lately. The little powder blue one hides all the time now.

I don't think I"m that lucky, but I think the two new additions have actually paired off and the female is chasing the other away.

Back
Top Bottom