New Additions in Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butterfly_koi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want planning on getting any fish today but I couldn't pass this platy up!
So today I bought a female platy

View attachment 99304

A male platy

View attachment 99305

And I thought I would try my hand at a few ghost shrimp

View attachment 99307

View attachment 99309
I've never owned shrimp before, what do I need to know about these little guys? One of them has a bunch of little things on its belly that I didn't notice till I got home, what are they?

That's a female full of baby ghost shrimp just leave her the fish will eat the young anyway and really nothing to them they just eat up all leftovers.

butterfly_koi said:
I figured that what they were just wasn't 100% sure though. is there a way to save them? I think it would be cool to have babies

Depending on exact species, it may need brackish water for babies to survive. Plus they are a Low Order breeder. They hatch larvae, that later turn into Shrimp. Not as easy as Cherry Shrimp. There are directions online for breeding Ghost Shrimp.

Coursair said:
Depending on exact species, it may need brackish water for babies to survive. Plus they are a Low Order breeder. They hatch larvae, that later turn into Shrimp. Not as easy as Cherry Shrimp. There are directions online for breeding Ghost Shrimp.

I haven't read anything so far about the brackish conditions but i'm not going to rule that out. the breeding websites I've been reading are kinda hit and miss but I will defiantly keep looking and see if I can find a more informative website

I must have gone through at least 30 websites about the brackish conditions, some argue about the need for it and some argue that there isn't a need for it. Should I just try the brackish water?
I was doing a gravel vac on my nursery tank last night because I was planning on putting her in there anyways, so I had her in a small bowl of tank water next to the tank till I was finished and when I looked in the bowl to put her in the tank she was gone! I started freaking out and had to get my flashlight to search the floor. Do you know hard it is to find a clear shrimp in carpet? I found her 4 feet away from the tank crawling on the carpet making a brake for the door! I had no clue that she would run like that, in the future i'm going to have to remember to keep the lid on the tank thought so my little carpet runner doesn't escape again!

butterfly_koi said:
I must have gone through at least 30 websites about the brackish conditions, some argue about the need for it and some argue that there isn't a need for it. Should I just try the brackish water?
I was doing a gravel vac on my nursery tank last night because I was planning on putting her in there anyways, so I had her in a small bowl of tank water next to the tank till I was finished and when I looked in the bowl to put her in the tank she was gone! I started freaking out and had to get my flashlight to search the floor. Do you know hard it is to find a clear shrimp in carpet? I found her 4 feet away from the tank crawling on the carpet making a brake for the door! I had no clue that she would run like that, in the future i'm going to have to remember to keep the lid on the tank thought so my little carpet runner doesn't escape again!

Yeah Ghosts are known Carpet Surfers. Cherries aren't.

Back
Top Bottom