New Angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaiofcanada

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I now have 4 quarter size angels until they pair off. Just wanted to share some of their beauty with you all. I have two new Koi Veiltails. One is a nice Gold Panda, that I paid a bit extra for.:angel::angel::angel::angel:

Attachments

• Black and Koi Veil.jpg
    Black and Koi Veil.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 67
  • Koi Veil 1.jpg
    Koi Veil 1.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 72
  • Trio 1.jpg
    Trio 1.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 130
  • Gold Panda Koi Veil 1.jpg
    Gold Panda Koi Veil 1.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 102
Very nice Kai!

Thanks....I am in love with them really. I am sooo tempted to set up another tank as I have the chance to get some pea sized Platinum Veil Blue Pinoys. Almost too irresistable. But I have no idea where another tank will go.

You have driftwood yet your water does not look yellow. What's your secret?

I love the driftwood! I basically just cure it myself. First I scrub it...then I boil it for 2-3 hours on low, then I soak it and do dechlorinated water changes until the water is clear for a week. Do a little vinegar test and voila! ...you have yourself a lovely piece of tank ready driftwood. The piece in the pictures is a gorgeous piece of wormwood. My yoyo loach loves it. I need to get a picture of him poking his head out of one of the holes.

What is the vinegar test?

Basically for rocks and driftwood you should always test them to make sure there is nothing on them or in them that might change the pH and parameters for your water.

Really simply actually....just take some normal vinegar and put a couple teaspoons on the wood or rock and if it fizzes/hisses then you will know that it will affect you water conditions, primarily pH and alkalinity.

Mostly people will do this with rocks, but wood is the same for me. You never know what kind of minerals wood has in it or what might have leeched into the wood while it was waterlogged.

I test everything and cure wood myself before adding it to my water. :D

Should not matter much....if it is wet, just dry it off a bit before adding the vinegar. You want to test the surface of the wood, so just soak up the water. If you are acquiring wood that has already been in another tank, test it anyways and clean it up by scrubbing and boiling it for a couple hours on low heat. This will kill off any parasites and help cure it in prep to be added to your tank.

Back
Top Bottom