New Angle - Zebra Looking :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KreativJustin

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got a new Angle for the 55gal tank. She's about full grown, with zebra print on her. -edit- The other angle that I had before this new one is shown in the back right of the photo. -/edit-

Here's a photo:

(y)

Thanks! The picture doesn't do her any justice. I'm not sure of the sex of the black one, but the zebra print is a female. I'm going to get a few more in the hopes that they will breed. I need to do some research on that first.

From top fin to bottom fin she is about 3.25" and will reach and will get a great deal bigger. Some have been known to get up to 10" (top to bottom, body, not fin) as long as the tank size doesn't stunt the growth.

I found out that she is a "Zebra Lace Angelfish," after doing some research. She is commonly known as the most beautiful of angelfish (source: wikipedia)

I have two at the moment, and plan on going to the full on 5! :) My LFS recommends no more than 5 in a 55gal due to temperamental problems. The two in there now are being very graceful and like to school with each other.

I wish I could have taken a better picture, the one I had taken just doesn't do her justice. She's very majestic.

I was told 6 in a 55g, which is what I have now. I plan on getting a 90g eventually. I was going to get it a few months back but some family issues needed the money more, so my Angels will have to wait a little longer.

Taking a good picture of fish is not easy, unless your a semipro or pro photographer. For those of us that hope to get lucky with a descent picture, the best way is to just take as many as you can and then delete the bad and save the good ones ones. Some times I'll take 150 pictures at a time and end up with 10 that are worth keeping.
Here are a couple of my Angels that turned out OK, after way to many tries.
Every time they change in color or size I take a ton of pics. Then I toss almost all of them, but I get a few worth keeping.
Taking a clear picture of a moving target takes practice, practice, practice, thank goodness for digital. If we were using regular film it would cost a fortune

Attachments

• Boone-Marble Angelfish 9 13 2011.jpg
    Boone-Marble Angelfish 9 13 2011.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 265
  • Gold Veil Tail Angel-Mickie 9 13 2011.jpg
    Gold Veil Tail Angel-Mickie 9 13 2011.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 124
  • Half Black Blushing Angel-Shia.jpg
    Half Black Blushing Angel-Shia.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
My LFS had a smaller (2") Gold Veil Tail Angel-Mickie, we about picked him/her up until we saw the Zebra Lace, that might be the one that we get next time. :)

My buddy is giving me a free 20 gallon long, so I might have to pick other stock first :( :)

Well, I don't mean to double post, but the most amazing thing happened this morning. I turned the light on and began watching the fish, and I noticed my Zebra Lace was almost pure white. Immediately I freaked out thinking she was sick, and started watching her with more attention. Within moments her stripes started turning a light gray, then within the next few minutes were dark gray. Within no time at all, her stripes were pure black. This is the most amazing thing I've seen, I just had to share.

Well, I don't mean to double post, but the most amazing thing happened this morning. I turned the light on and began watching the fish, and I noticed my Zebra Lace was almost pure white. Immediately I freaked out thinking she was sick, and started watching her with more attention. Within moments her stripes started turning a light gray, then within the next few minutes were dark gray. Within no time at all, her stripes were pure black. This is the most amazing thing I've seen, I just had to share.

It's pretty common for fish to loose their strips then have them pop back out again. They often do it as a mood thing, the problem is I don't have any idea which one is a good mood and which one is a bad mood.

Taking a good picture of fish is not easy, unless your a semipro or pro photographer. For those of us that hope to get lucky with a descent picture, the best way is to just take as many as you can and then delete the bad and save the good ones ones. Some times I'll take 150 pictures at a time and end up with 10 that are worth keeping.

I agree, however if you use a DSLR camera it makes it about 100x easier.

I agree, however if you use a DSLR camera it makes it about 100x easier.

What is DSLR? I don't know that much about cameras. When I bought my camera, I just wanted something that I could take both video and photos with. That way I could film family things and take photos of the fish with the same camera. And since I know zilch about photography I made sure it was very basic and easy to use. Some cameras get way to complicated and I'm not very good with electronics. I can't even use a smart phone. They're to smart for me.

DSLR cameras are basically what the professionals use. They are a bit more expensive than most point and shoot cameras, but there are some that are pretty affordable.

I've seen some great pics taken with some of the nicer point and shoot cameras, but personally if you want to take some great pictures (not just aquaria related) then it's worth it to invest a little more and get a DSLR.

Here's a nice writeup on the specifics.
Should you buy a DSLR or Point and Shoot Digital Camera?

I got lucky because my girlfriend is a photographer, so I have access to a nikon d90. Before that I only used a few different kind of point and shoot cameras, and I know exactly what you mean about it being difficult. I used to take 20-30 pics and maybe keep 1 if I was lucky. The difference is night and day.

With the DSLR, I use the digital display to zoom up really close on the fish and then manually adjust the focus so that most pics turn out fairly well if the fish is cooperating.

Here's a picture comparison between my old camera and new one

GE P&S
img_1549553_0_0b0c5a03a83b4241238ae4dccd0fc103.jpg

img_1549553_1_c52b178d0ca89049e3a58fcb1223482f.jpg

Nikon D90 18mm-200mm
img_1549553_2_0d95c4ff36248c7311dc719925951aad.jpg

img_1549553_3_2f17897c8e658bc36e0a496750fbcb7b.jpg

Yeah, you can def tell the difference in cameras. I would love a DSLR but don't have the all time need for one. Maybe I would use it more if I had one though, not sure. :) Thanks for all the input guys n gals.

Those angel fish are really nice. I have two in my 55 gallon right now. Sorry I don't have a better pic of them at the moment. Can get ones tonight

Back
Top Bottom