New Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fallen Icarus

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
It my male Siamese fighting fish today. Waiting for him for about a month. Even after only 2 hours, he follows the female non stop.

image-3493736459.jpg

Fallen Icarus said:
It my male Siamese fighting fish today. Waiting for him for about a month. Even after only 2 hours, he follows the female non stop.

Nice! Pretty fish I like the tail.

I wouldn't have bought that fish I would have reported who ever u got it from for not looking after it properly.

Your fish has a case of fin rot. And yes, you did cuss, just tone it down on this forum please.

I suggest BettaFix.

Your water looks off too.

I don't know much about bettas but he doesn't look very healthy. :(

All the lfs around me have the most sick looking bettas, none of them are anywhere near healthy and it's so sad. :(

As for the betta, keep his water clean, that will do him more good than any medication will. Bettas don't handle meds well. If you have no other choice, always dose at half strength.

It looks as though he's a crowntail by the way. Their tails normally look a bit raggedy.

Last edited:
I disagree dragon. Everything on a crowntail is "crowned" and spiked. Even that fin running the lower length of its belly (dunno the name) is spiked.

That fish simply has fin rot.

Here is a pic I got from browsing POTM winners. My betta looks EXACTLY like this except the white streaks are blue.

They don't appear to have frayed fins IME, just spiked.

I'm keeping my 12th Betta... That one has fin rot and is stressed :(

Attachments

• image-87676852.jpg
    image-87676852.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 107
Did I ever say that it wasn't finrot or something along those lines? I stated that crowntails do tend to look more raggedy. It could very well be a crowntail that's in a horrible state of sickness or it could be a roundtail.

Last edited:
It could very well be a crowntail with clamped fins and finrot. Just saying.

*edit* to the OP- I would NOT suggest housing the male and female Bettas together in the long term... not a good idea.

Last edited:
Wow he's in bad shape. Clean water will help him heal. Keep it as clean as possible (extra water changes). No need for medications he should heal on his own with clean water. More than one Betta of any sex should not be housed in the same tank as another IMO.

I am looking for a healthy betta to cone in to a lfs. Gonna grab one first day. Figure its best bet... Idk. But they always look iffy. I have a filtered 5 gallon I got for Xmas. It's been set up empty but got some old media in a 75 to insta-cycle. I always hate it for the poor guys... Hope ur guy turns round. So could the op put his female in another stocked tank w peaceful fish? I heard males were iffy in community tanks but females are not as aggressive. Is this true?

I was told he was a crowntail. He is starting to look better already. I ordered him over a month ago from the same shop I got my female from. They did call me the day he got in so I guessed it was the stresses of traveling that had his fins drooping. The water parameters are perfect and I'm doing a 30% water change once a week. It may look slightly greenish in the pic because of the background. Later today I'll try get a better picture of him.

@ OP - You were told it was a CT? Aren't you able to distinguish?

Dragon, correct, you never said it was not FR, but I'll eat my hat when it's fins regrow and it's a CT. I'll make a whole thread about how wrong I was :)

I understand your experience, but I'm just so sure it's a CT.

SM, it is possible, but pectoral fin sort of gives it away. I haven't really seen alot of multicolored CT's, only solid colors. The OP has it stressed out, theres discolration and FR, I'm guessing stress/bad water quality is the culprit here.

Edited for puncuation

joejeff said:
I am looking for a healthy betta to cone in to a lfs. Gonna grab one first day. Figure its best bet... Idk. But they always look iffy. I have a filtered 5 gallon I got for Xmas. It's been set up empty but got some old media in a 75 to insta-cycle. I always hate it for the poor guys... Hope ur guy turns round. So could the op put his female in another stocked tank w peaceful fish? I heard males were iffy in community tanks but females are not as aggressive. Is this true?

I kept a male Betta in my community tank with some white clouds. The Betta wasn't aggressive he was actually sorta shy. I think the schooling fish stressed him out. At least this is what I've read both in books and online

@ LyndaB thanks. :) I am new to keeping fish. I only got my tank about 3 months ago and thought it would be easy. I was so wrong. There's a lot more to learn than I realized.

Here he is posing for the camera. He looks better than when I first got him but he should get better in time. I have also been looking at google. Yeah he doesn't look like a crowntail. They probably said it just to get me out of the shop. I have since found a much better shop with much healthier stock.

image-3864363260.jpg

And before anyone else comments. I am aware the white ish line is a stress line. I have done all I can in the last 2 days to make sure he is happy. Hopefully he will start to settle soon.

Back
Top Bottom