new blue glofish a flop???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
and this is exactly why i dont buy glofish. nothing good comes from adding something to DNA in fish

I'm not totally sure about that. I've read that they've done some enhancements in certain food fish stocks to make them mature faster, creating more yield in shorter time periods.

The glofish concept was originally introduced to monitor pollution levels, and I guess that they are keeping it around since there's a market for it.

The fact is that as long as people are buying these kinds of things, they will be around. Same with cup bettas and freakish hybrids/deformity fish.

So it seems like its a double edged sword.

All that can be done by those who are opposed to it is to voice your opinion, inform others, and try to help maintain certain species through your own tanks if possible. People have been doing the latter for years, which is why some fish are extinct in the wild but still readily available in the trade.

yea but i say that bc of the dyeing. every geneticly engenired fish has been died or the 2 i know of have been. blood parrots and glofish and then there's the fruit tetras that are dyed and probably lots more

They are genetically modified zebra danio and they werent designed for aquariums that was an after thought they were designed to detect pollution in rivers and lakes if they were polluted there colors would die off then the thought came in that fish keepers may like these fellas so they did serve a purpose at first

Some others are
Colored Skirts
Disco Fish
Painted Tiger Barbs
Painted Botias
Strawberry Tetra
Blueberry Tetra
Grape Tetra
Blueberry Oscars
Fruit tetras
Neon Indian glass fish
Various coloured parrot cichlids

There are so many naturally beautifully colored fish in both FW &SW varieties. I don't understand the fascination with the dyed & tattooed fish.
The Glofish aren't anymore colorful than regular fish, in fact some cichlids are more colorful. And the colors you can find in some SW fish are astounding.
To use the Glofish to detect pollution is a legitimate and useful endeavour. To alter DNA, or dye & tattoo fish for profit is gross.

and this is exactly why i dont buy glofish. nothing good comes from adding something to DNA in fish

They were actually originally for research purposes. Researching water pollutants. They were to glow only when in the presence of a certain pollutant. But then some lab tech realized there was big $$$$$$$ with these fish and started selling them.

ryan-peddle said:
They are genetically modified zebra danio and they werent designed for aquariums that was an after thought they were designed to detect pollution in rivers and lakes if they were polluted there colors would die off then the thought came in that fish keepers may like these fellas so they did serve a purpose at first

Correct. I also read a while back that the reason they are so pricey is bc a portion of the money from their purchase goes back to a university that is studying their relationship w polluted waters.

Back
Top Bottom