New Blue Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maximus13

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Finally caved and got 2 blue rams yesterday. They seem to be getting along well with everyone, and seem to enjoy the Cory's brushing up against them.

sorry for the photo quality

Attachments

• image-339828729.jpg
    image-339828729.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 157
  • image-3853836859.jpg
    image-3853836859.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 169
They are so cute when they are babies like that! Congrats! I love my rams!! They are preparing to spawn.....again. ;-)

Rams are my fav too. Can't wait to get more. New tank just cycling now so it will be a while.

yea I'm hoping that maybe these two will pair up, then again I'm not sure if I have 2 males or a m and a f. we'll see!

I love rams. Yours are looking good!

Also, I want to point out that even if you do have a male and a female there is no guarantee they will pair up. Kind of like us, they are rather picky about their mate ;). However, it's a good start (y)

I figured that them pairing would be a long shot but I can always hope! lol, I'm just waiting for
their fins to heal up, they look like they were nipped, so hopefully in a week or two I'll get some updated pics

here's what you have to look forward to. it took about six months for them to color up but worth the wait! they are great fish. very social.

36993-albums8518-picture32706.jpg

36993-albums8518-picture32703.jpg

those rams looks so beautiful! I cannot wait to watch them grow into the tank and add more personality to it!

I haven't been this excited since I got my 2 oscars back when I was in high school

I love GBR's, the colours really are amazing, just wish mine would stay still long enough to get a decent pic!!

image-499307304.jpg

image-58046069.jpg

Am hoping my two will pair up. Would have bought a group to improve the chances but these were the last two available at the time and just couldn't resist!

i would give you one piece of advice that someone else gave to me. rams are known to be very difficult to keep. i don't think this is true .however you must keep their water pristine. that means your water parameters need to be on the money. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, stable ph and nitrates less than 40. also water changes are very important. i have a 45 gal. i change out 6-7 gallons every 3rd day. frequent, small water changes are easier on your fish than large water changes unless you have an emergency. make sure to match the temperature of the tank water when you add new water. i also do gravel cleaning every week and do a 20% water change during that cleaning. if you keep the water fresh you will help keep your fish healthy and happy.

I was nervous when I got mine because everyone said they were so hard to keep...I haven't had a single issue. I am pretty good about keeping a clean tank...but I'm far from perfect! Mine are spawning right this moment...or trying too...lol. They aren't very good parents...usually make a snack of them. They keep trying tho!

Attachments

• image-2987341993.jpg
    image-2987341993.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 141
I was nervous when I got mine because everyone said they were so hard to keep...I haven't had a single issue. I am pretty good about keeping a clean tank...but I'm far from perfect! Mine are spawning right this moment...or trying too...lol. They aren't very good parents...usually make a snack of them. They keep trying tho!

wow! Very nice.

tamtam said:
wow! Very nice.

:). Thank you! They had caviar again...silly rams. The loaches had a nice snack too...lol. But all is mellow in the tank again...excitement over for now.

Rams are easy. I have 2 Long Fin German Blue's and 2 Bolivians with 5 Angels in the same 75 gallon tank. I also have ghost shrimp and they swim all over the place and even in front of them. I have ZERO aggression. Everyone is happy and runs to the top when you walk by wanting food. I also have 8 Denison's Barbs as well. Everyone has adapted to eat fast and grab all you can with those Barbs or you won't get to eat lol. Just keep your PH and temp constant and do your water changes. i also have lots of plants and everyone has room to make an area of the tank their own.

bettaowner said:
Is the blue ram hardier than the German blue.

Same fish... Well the ones the op is talking about. There is however electric blue rams...

The can be. In my experience they don't like nitrates and need the water to be stable. Just keep clean water and you should be fine. Bolivian rams are hardier and are good rams. They also colour out nice to

Back
Top Bottom