New BlueRam with a Question aswell :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishCrazyBenBOMB

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I got a new ram today, I was talking to the fish dude at my LFS and me and him were trying to find a female today, we could tell since they were fairly young so hopefully I got one. I know the front of that top fin is deff. not as tall as my other one so i'm hoping I did get a female.

The question is: Is this a Male or Female?

img_936359_0_483397bed854e7ea94a52c6d4568d0ed.jpg

img_936359_1_719ad3f292848b24615f9a6c52d1fdb6.jpg

Is this a Male or Female?

I believe it to be a male based on his lower fins. Females, their front lower fins typically extend back beyond the front edge of the anal fin, this one doesn't appear to from these photos. Females will also have a slight hint of pink on their bellies.

Also, his belly looks a little sunken in. Probably because of shipment and the petstore, but watch and make sure he's eating properly.

Beautiful fish! I love german rams

I believe it to be a male based on his lower fins. Females, their front lower fins typically extend back beyond the front edge of the anal fin, this one doesn't appear to from these photos. Females will also have a slight hint of pink on their bellies.

Also, his belly looks a little sunken in. Probably because of shipment and the petstore, but watch and make sure he's eating properly.

Yeah, when me and him were picking the ram out that's what we were looking for, the pink in the belly. The way you explain it though about the front lower fins extends back beyound the front edge of the anal fin, then I think this one might be the male and the bigger (older one) might be the female.

I'll try to get a pick of him/her up here.

That pic appears to be a male. Maybe once you get the other pic up, that will be the female. As neilanh mentioned his belly is kinda sunk in. Watch also what his poo looks like after he has had a chance to get acclimated to the tank and is eating.

That pic appears to be a male. Maybe once you get the other pic up, that will be the female. As neilanh mentioned his belly is kinda sunk in. Watch also what his poo looks like after he has had a chance to get acclimated to the tank and is eating.

Well here are the pictures of my older Ram, you can compare the two and tell me who is the male and who is the female, I would really apperciate it. Thank you!

img_936432_0_4dfd117104fc529c329be44a42b76ec5.jpg

img_936432_1_5b23c495b8acdf1aa7496b5b4bb97568.jpg

Hmm, I don't believe that one to be a pure GBR - looks like a cross between the blue and gold.

Also believe this one to be a male as well.

Definately a male, I don't think you have any females from the pics. Neilanh may be right, it may be a cross. Hard to tell from the pic.

I guess so, I was going to get one of these on rams, there called like vailtail or something, they are more rounder and shorter, not as long. They looked kind of funny, but grew on me fast. I thought since I already had a normally (kind of noraml) looking one I would get a normal one.

they are more rounder and shorter, not as long.

Google "Balloon Ram", these are rams that are shorter in length and maybe rounder. My LFS has these and standard ones but I personally dont like them as much and like the long finned GBR's

As far as sexing, with my GBR's, the Female is lots smaller like 1/2 the size and it has a very noticeable Red spot on the belly

Google "Balloon Ram", these are rams that are shorter in length and maybe rounder. My LFS has these and standard ones but I personally dont like them as much and like the long finned GBR's

As far as sexing, with my GBR's, the Female is lots smaller like 1/2 the size and it has a very noticeable Red spot on the belly

Yeah neither of my rams have noticeable pink/red on the belly if any.

I just thought those rams looked different, my funny and cute lol.

Back
Top Bottom