New Dojo Loach and Shrimp (id?) (pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

illuminum

Aquarium Advice Freak
Whaddaya think? :D
Can anyone ID this shrimp? It looks like a peppermint shrimp, but it's FW.
2083shrimp.jpg

My new Dojo Loach. Does anyone know how big this thing gets? Also, is it an herbivore, or omnivore?
2083dojo_loach.jpg

Its a Bamboo shrimp! Aka wood shrimp or Singapore shrimp. You can see my beast below.

I've a new one in my tank; my previous one had an unsuccessful attempt as accelerater evolution (be sure the tank is WELL covered!). They're filter feeders; they don't eat detritus persay like ghost shrimp, or algae like amano shrimp, but eat the micro organisms found in the water and on the substrate. Look carefully and see if he has one larger appendage in the front, sorta like a claw. If so, its a boy :) They're supposed to get to be around 3 inches long; mine arrived at 3 1/2 inches tho LOL

Where did you get him?

I'm not exactly sure how big dojo's get; check www.loaches.com for more info :)

The shrimp is only about an inch and a half. I think it's a female. He doesn't move far away from one of the rocks in my tank. It looks like he's established his territory. He only cost me a few dollars. He was the last one in the tank at the store (petco in Santa Monica). Allivymar, does he nip at any of your fish? I've noticed a few new nips on my fancy guppies tail. :( He's the only guppy in the tank and normally hangs out in the same corner as the loach, but I doubt he's the culprit.

Bamboo's don't have claws; if you look closely you'll notice they have fans instead. Tis what they use to filter food out of the water. So they don't have weapons and can't cause nips. I'd look suspiciously at the loach tho *grin*

Back
Top Bottom