New female betta.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragon14

Aquarium Advice Addict
Last night we adopted a small female betta. She's beautiful. Purply colors and mostly whiteish fins.

She's in a 2.5 g Deep Blue tank that is made for 5 Bettas (shiver). No heater yet as the one we got wasn't fully submersible like we thought it was, but the water temp is holding steady around 74.

I tested her water in her cup (got her from a chain store) and despite looking clean, ammonia was about 2ppm :(

I'll post a pic when I can.

We're interested in doing a sponge filter maybe, as this tank is long and not too tall. I know nothing about sponge filters.

She's having a grand ol' time swimming back and forth the length of the tank. We went with the Deep Blue 2.5 g tank vs the Aqueon 2.5g tank because the Deep Blue one is longer and nice for a betta to swim a longer distance :)

I love this little fish! She's so curious and I just love her!

1. I have a betta named Galaxie who looks like a galaxy. I suggest getting 2.8 as they are cheap and have more sufficient space.

2. Are you looking for suitable tank mates?

1. I have a betta named Galaxie who looks like a galaxy. I suggest getting 2.8 as they are cheap and have more sufficient space.

2. Are you looking for suitable tank mates?

Very nice :D

Well we already bought this one :p. She's pretty small. I wouldn't want to put a betta too much bigger than her in it. We like bigger for Bettas but are running out of space. She resides on our table at the moment lol.

As for tank mates, we're debating putting her in our 20g community high tank. We just don't want her to get nippy w our male guppy or the pleco or the shrimp (or the shrimp go after her!) or anyone else in the tank.

If we do plunk her in, we'll watch closely for a few hours and stand by with a net...

What do you think??

Call the doctor! Dragon has hit the next stage of MTS! ;)

Would love to see a pic!

Caleb

Nooooo what is this next stage you speak of??!!??!!??

I hope to get one soon! iPod usually takes crappy pics and I can't get good fish pics w my real camera (never tried yet but I have a feeling). She's beautiful. Adorable little girl.

Nooooo what is this next stage you speak of??!!??!!??

I hope to get one soon! iPod usually takes crappy pics and I can't get good fish pics w my real camera (never tried yet but I have a feeling). She's beautiful. Adorable little girl.

I'm very sorry to inform you but your symptoms of Multiple Tank Syndrome has gotten worse.

Caleb

Always a gamble. One of the meanest fish I had was a female Betta. Though I had one named (Ruby) Pearl and she just thought she was the busy boss of the top of the tank...

This corner is mine stay away, now this corner is mine outta my way, then, oh what are you doing there, what's going on here?

Pearl was feisty and fun to watch adding a great big burst of personality to the community tank.

She acted like she was charging the other much less brains Guppies and occasional Tetra, chasing them but the Guppies were too dense to notice she was trying to chase them off.

The mean one tried to killed anything near her and I don't mean acting curious. She killed her female tank mates. I didn't know any better and was told they could all be together. Most beautiful moss green color and nice pattern. She was changed to her own space after that incident.

So depends on size of tank and the fish personality. Also when they are small sometimes males look like a female, but they really aren't a female. Just a word of caution. I had that happen too.

Last edited:
Thanks Autumn Sky :)

I think we'll watch her for a few hours and go from there should we decide to plunk her in the tank... We figured it would be a hit or miss. We have a male guppy, a bn pleco, some harlequin rasboras, and some amano shrimp we are most concerned about.... either her harassing them or the shrimp harassing her perhaps. Then we have our pygmy and 1 habrosus catfish & two panda cories. They should be fine with her, I dunno about her with them, though, especially the pygmies.... they're kinda lazy :p

We saw some "King Bettas" at PetCo a few times; today when we were at the lfs briefly to get some cat food, hubby was talking to the fish guy, and asked him if he'd ever had or heard of a King Betta. He had not, but after hubby described what they looked like, he led hubby over to this tank with what indeed looked like the "King bettas" we'd seen at PetCo, and a pretty betta was in there. He is huge! The fish guy said he was a wild-caught or wild-like betta. So either he's a huge male plakat, actually wild-caught, or a huge female. :p

Of course, we want this pretty boy too... he leaped out of his little bowl that he was for sale in one day at the fish store and he scooped him up and put him the bigger display tank, and he's been happy as a clam (har har) for a few months now. Where the heck are we going to put a 10g tank? We are literally out of places to put a fish tank.

And we'd feel bad putting the big betta in the 10g that our blue male crowntail is in (he's a pretty big fish too, but not as big as this guy!) and taking him out and putting him into a smaller tank. The crowntail loves that tank and uses all of it!

Hubby is worse than I am with MTS! He keeps wanting more fish! Of course, every time we go to PetCo, I pick one or two (Betta) out.... fall in love with one.... Hubby first suggested we get some fish or a betta last year.... and that's what started all this.... and we both LOVE bettas... and want a lot of them....

:D

Tank stands with two tank positions. Or for the real enthusiast, a Gorilla shelf. I haven't used it yet but the spray from (I think) Rustoleum, has a hydrophobic treatment which might be great for the wood to not be damaged by the water. I understand some restaurant wire racks are capable for some heavy weight.

I love them too!

Thanks Autumn :)

Very sadly, this sweet little female passed away last night :'(

Oh no! Why? That's so sad. At least now you can bring a new beautiful betta into your home. Sorry for your loss :'(

~ExoticAquarist, signing out

Oh no! Why? That's so sad. At least now you can bring a new beautiful betta into your home. Sorry for your loss :'(

~ExoticAquarist, signing out

Thank you! It is sad... I loved that little fish...

Maybe... we don't want a betta in anything smaller than a 5g any more but we might put someone in this smaller tank, or try to sell it. It's 2.5g and it's long.

So sad for your loss.

The little gals are easy to love because they have so much personality, even if they are in your life for a short time. It was a grand time though and better than dying in a little cup.

As for the tank, Dwarf shrimp. (2.5G) You can get pretty nice quality cherry shrimp for around a buck each and so cute. Great to have near a chair to really see their little world up close.

Thank you Autumn.

I buried her today. I should have the next morning (yesterday) but I didn't have the heart to...

I am thankful she didn't die in a cup at *chainstore*. She was so beautiful. I never got a picture of her when she was with us :( She was so cute.... I was so thrilled to have her. Hubby picked her out, said look at this little female, and I wanted to get her her and he did to so we found this tank and.... kajsdfljadlkfjald.

They are and they do... :D

I love the cherries but we had a disaster with them because the tank we put them in was not mature at the time and they all died within a week. we had 6 of them or 8. So I dunno how they'd do in a 2.5g that is nearly impossible to cycle. :/

Back
Top Bottom