New Hammer Coral!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

d9hp

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, first off let me thank Kevin for putting up with me last night, I was worried pretty bad. I have since moved my leather down next to my GSP, and the hammer back to a spot I like it at. I got the carbon this morning and am wondering if I should wash it off? Both of the corals look fine and the hammer is shimmering under the light. I am so excited, this is one of my favorite corals right next to ricordias. I can not get a decent picture because the thing is just so bright! It is like taking a picture of the sun with your flash on...

Another update, all the corals are doing great, mushroom, GSP, and the sun polyps especially, I have two new polyps already forming!!!

Ok, i rinsed it off a little bit, and I was like this sucks, it is turning everything black. So I put it in the foot of some panty hose, then stuck it on this HOTI filter (hang on the inside) and let it run in the sink for about 20 minutes. It is now in the fuge. I hear it clears the water up good, but I dont think my water needs clearing. Should I leave it in the panty hose or just dump it into the filter, I am afraid it floats... My hammer looks so good!! I love it, it adds a lot to the tank.

How long should I run the carbon? I have company coming tonight and don't really want to have it running then since I have to have a drop cord from the other side of the room. (I ran out of plugs)

I would think in your size tank that you could run carbon a couple or three times per week.

I hear it clears the water up good, but I dont think my water needs clearing.

Some of the things it removes from the water are not visible.

Should I leave it in the panty hose or just dump it into the filter

Since I have no idea what the filter is, I have no way to advise, more than likely you could put it in the filter.

How long will the carbon last? I dont mind buying a new batch every month but not everytime i need to run it. Should I buy a HOB just for running carbon? I really appreciate all the answers, my hammer is now fully extended, man I love this guy. I need to move him to a place where i can see him from the angle I am normally at, not from the couch. I will leave him there so my relatives can chill out and watch him after we grub out. Well, i wish I had a good cam. I think I am gonna HAVE to borrow the neighbors camera for this guy.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=11

That is an article that Loganj did on activated carbon, check it out. IMO, Carbon is useful (for removing toxins) for about 3-4 days of continuous use, after that it will still remove yellowing agents from the water, but it is pretty much exhausted. The easiest way to use carbon is to purchase a large container of it and use a few teaspoons at a time.

Ok, I will remember that, I used a ton today, I still have half the botttle left. The stuff you recomended was only 5 bux, so I will pick up two more boxes tom.

So should I run it the full 3-4 days? Or take it out, and then in another 3 days use the same carbon?

Ok, I think I will run it 2 full days, 2 times a week. Thanks for all the help. I think I am gonna pick up a really cheap HOB just for running Carbon. I hear it really is a great thing to run especially in a nano.

I believe one of the major ingredients i Chemipure is activated carbon, but it is considered a mixed bed resin, I think. From what I have seen, it contains more than just GAC.

Back
Top Bottom