New RBTA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Kevin, I am having a blast with this camera. I just borrowed a 28-200mm lens from the photo store to try out as I have to really work to get good shots out of the stock lens 18-55. I lose a little on the wide angle, but its a lot more versitile. I know its not a macro lens, however I haven't broke down to spend the 500 bucks for a 100mm 1:1 yet LoL

Yea, its strange having to stand 5 feet away from the tank to get my close ups, but im adjusting hehe. Getting the correct exposure and white balance is still bogging me down, I need to find a place around town that does an "intro to" or something.

White balance is gonna be a bear, being 5 ft from the tank, I would do a manual white balance on the sandbed. On exposure...your in a lowlight situation, you'll need a tripod, you'll want a mid to small aperture and then trial and error should help with the shutterspeed. I used to cheat, I'd check what the cam said on auto and then adjust in manual, till I got a feel for it.

Man, I never even thought to use the sandbed for custom white balance. I just took another slew of 100 pics, about 25 for four different settings im interested to see what the custom WB looks like now that I have a good reference for it. What angle would you shoot the sandbed at for CWB?

In about 10 min I can start to try out the dreaded 03 only shooting.

Tell ya what, this will be easier.

Get a white coffee filter (I usually use 2 or 3 of the cone filters), put them over the lens, from where your shooting from and take a pic, set that pic as your WB reference ;)

Awesome idea, thanks again Kevin. One more thing since we have turned this New arrival post into camera 101 anyhow, do you think my inability to capture a good green is due to the lack of red spectrum in my lighting? I can't catch good green at all.

If the green looks good in the tank...it should look good on the cam with a proper WB setting. You can test it though...take a picture of a plant, how does the green look? More than likely it is the lighting, 20K + actinics is going to wash out the green a bit, but you should see that without the cam ;)

Kevin, man you hit the nail on the head with that coffee filter thing man. I got a bunch of really high quality pics using that method. Check this out, its dead on accurate color rep. with no editing on my part at all.

Kevin, man you hit the nail on the head with that coffee filter thing man. I got a bunch of really high quality pics using that method. Check this out, its dead on accurate color rep. with no editing on my part at all.

cool, I'm glad it works for you as well as it works for me, I'm suprised I didn't mention it first...that's how I set my whte balance.

Back
Top Bottom