new swordtails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WaterPond

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was at the LFS today looking for some more pygmy cories when I got looking at these swordtails. I have never kept swords before, but I just think they could possibly be the most beautiful freshwater fish… well, that’s just my opinion

They guy at the LFS said he bred them himself from “good quality strain”

He told me I picked out a cross between full orange and pineapple sword. I bought a m/f pair of what looked to be almost identical fish… probably shouldn’t have… they are most likely from the same family. I purposely picked a prego female, lol

On the way home the female started to square off… so I decided to put her right into the breeding net. The male is really shy, and likes to pick fights with his reflection. Very beautiful though.

Here are some pics of the male… his tail is fairly long and he has some really stunning colours.
img_769596_0_fb99f0b5d87c9460b48fac0ef587d381.jpg

img_769596_1_15500bc1c567ffaaeaff109648904289.jpg

Here is mama in the delivery room, I hope to have babies by the morning.
img_769596_2_5a9c476856a64ae6061c08e81ec03cf7.jpg

Enjoy the pics.

I had swordtails like that waaay back when I first had a fishtank. My big momma swordtail had lots and lots of babies and I raised some and gave them to friends or the LFS. Cool fish, enjoy them!

WaterPond said:
I bought a m/f pair of what looked to be almost identical fish… probably shouldn’t have… they are most likely from the same family.

You know, it's usually desirable in fish breeding to keep it 'in the family' so to speak. Inbreeding, keeps the strains pure. Unlike human inbreeding of course.

Back
Top Bottom