New tank and fish suggestions???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mannymouse

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone!
I was thinking about getting a 20gal or maybe larger. I'd like to have some neon tetras, guppies, mollies, and a Pleco. How many of each do you suggest? I know that some are schooling fish, they are live bearers so we will have babies, and only need 1 Pleco. Also any tips on maintenance, type of substrate (gravel or sand), and cycling?? I'm new at this and want to do things right :) I currently have a betta as well in a 2 gal tank
Thanks for the help!!! Anything would be greatly appreciated!!

I like sand, looks nicer IMO. However, a Pleco should not be held in tanks under 50 gallons. They get HUGE, and I mean like a foot long. Guppies do reproduce a LOT, and you will have to find a place to give them away or recommend them or else they will quickly overpopulated your tank.

Guppies and Mollies will interbreed. Some like this, others don't. Take that into consideration too.

Thank you for the advice! I will look into getting a bigger tank for the Pleco and everyone :) my mom had a tank with those types of fish at work and a coworker took care of it, and we loved having all of the fry and watching them grow so the interbreeding isn't a big problem. Thanks again.

Happy to help! Be sure to go to aqadvisor.com to see if your tank size and filter are adequate.

I'll definitely check it out :) we haven't gotten anything yet so that helps a lot! I figured coming here for advice would be a good idea before doing anything just yet. :) any other tips or info?

Make sure you get adequate filtration and heating. Rinse your substrate well to prevent cloudiness. Live plants help too :)

Thanks again :) I'll definitely check everything out before buying! Lol

Back
Top Bottom