New Tank: Nematode Issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mayhariu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I have a four gallon tank just newly setup for about a week and a half now. Two days ago I noticed on my one and only live plant had brown algae growing on it and I looked that up and apparently it's common in new tanks and is not a big issue.

However, today I found hair-like white worms all over the glass of my tank. I studied them and they are in fact alive and crawling on the glass. Just last night they were not anywhere in the tank that I could see. I don't have any food or inhabitants inside the tank. A week earlier I had started to cycle my tank by dosing it with the right amount of Bacteria to help the cycle progress faster. That- and a liquid plant food are the only things added to the water.

I read that these are bad bacteria and they are good bacteria from others. I couldn't find a solution on how to remove them while looking on my mobile phone so I'm here now. I took pictures on my GOOD camera but I cannot find the USB cord to upload them so here is a bad quality photo from my phone.
2012-01-23_10-50-50_492.jpg

They look like this but much smaller.

200px-Nematodes1.jpg

What can you suggest I do to rid of them? I have a sand substrate.
This is how my tank looked yesterday:

tankfrog.jpg

Did you ever find out what these were and how to get rid of them? I have them in my tank. I found them today. All I could find was that they weren't bad.

Hello, I'm still waiting to here from peopel but no one will reply. I cleaned the glass but they're still there and my brown algae is much more abundant on my plant now. I have no iddea if they're good or bad. All I keep finding are pictures of worms inside fish that are dead D:

Hi! I have been doing alot of 'worm' study lately thanks to a digusting leech infestation. I honestly dont know exactly what these are but if they are nematodes they are also referenced to as roundworms. I dont know if there are harmless nematodes but roundworms are not a good thing to have. They came from somewhere & I am venturing to guess it was from a live plant that was not disinfected. Prazipro is supposed to be effective in treating roundworms if this helps at all. Worms are not fun.

These nematodes are pretty common in tanks, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Usually fish will eat them, the only tanks I even really notice them and other worms like planaria is in tanks that are lightly stocked or don't have scavenging fish in them.

If it becomes a cause for concern, though, a sprinkle of fenbendazole works pretty well to rid the tank of nematodes.

These nematodes are pretty common in tanks, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Usually fish will eat them, the only tanks I even really notice them and other worms like planaria is in tanks that are lightly stocked or don't have scavenging fish in them.

If it becomes a cause for concern, though, a sprinkle of fenbendazole works pretty well to rid the tank of nematodes.

Where would someone buy fenbenzadole for aquarium use? I use it for deworming my horses (Panacur) but would never consider using this particular product in aq setting. Perhaps, the dog & cat dewormer version? Would Prazi not be effective against these type worms?

I've never used praziquantel for them, but I have heard that it works.

I use the dog/cat dewormer (life guard?) stuff from the pet store. Panacur works just as well, at least according to what I've read in the past.

Panacur for horses is a thick, messy, sticky paste that doesnt dissolve well in water (you need soap to get it off your hands). I am interested to see if Prazi would be effective as its fairly readily available for most aquarists & dosing would be less complicated. :)

So my issue could be having nothing in the tank right now? I will be putting an ADF in there only but I wanted the tank to cycle first. Right now it is full of brown algae on the leaves of my one plant and then those tiny 'worms' whatever they are.

Would it be okay to add a frog in there after the cycle is done even with these worms? I can't see an ADF eating them?

If you dont want the worms, then you should consider eradictaing them before stocking the tank. The brown algae (diatoms) is normal in a newly cycling tank & usually resolves itself on its own. I have no personal experience with keeping frogs so i cant help you with whether stocking one is appropriate for your tank or not. Perhaps, you can ask in the amphibians section here.

Hmm I'll see what I can do to get rid of them then. Hopefully I won't have to raid the tank with chemicals to do so.

Back
Top Bottom