New tank... now what to do with it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pbr_chick

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Last Friday, my aunt told me I could have her 77-gallon hex tank for whatever price I thought was reasonable. I'm pretty sure she bought it used, and she's had it set up for 2-3 years. I repainted the trim over the weekend and have it sitting empty in my room right now. It holds water, but is really dirty from sitting in her garage for the last few months.
n592066685_2210912_1592224.jpg

So here's my first question: How much would you pay for it? I'm asking because I don't want to rip off my own family, but at the same time don't want to over-pay. Time is not an issue: she told me to not even worry about paying her until it is set up.
Here's the other question: What should I put in this tank? I wanted to put Malawi cichlids in it, but was told they need more length than height in a tank. The tank's base is a 16" regular hexagon and it stands about 27" high. Since my original plan is now out, I have no idea what to do with this tank. I already have a 55-gallon livebearer tank, and want bigger fish for this one. Do you know of any fish that would do great in a tall tank? I'm anxious to come up with a plan because I want to get it set up and cycling ASAP. An empty tank is just sad.

Well you could skip fw and go reef with metal halide lights. To clean it, use a vinigar (not sure on spelling) and water solution (1:1 ratio I think). Depending on condition I'd pay $50-$80 for it. Maybe $1 per gallon?

I'd love to do sw, but I don't have those kinds of funds. When I get a full-time job, maybe.

I'd love to do sw, but I don't have those kinds of funds. When I get a full-time job, maybe.

I thought the same thing.... four years ago! LOL! I wish I was filthy rich so I could set up a nice sw tank! :)

I agree with the $50-80 ($80 w/ accessories) or roughly $1/gallon.

Back
Top Bottom