New tiger lotus....you'll never guess where I got it...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfound77951

Aquarium Advice Addict
Picked up this gorgeous red tiger lotus yesterday... that's my BN pleco and SAE (both about 3") for scale. I got it at PETCO.....yep, Petco.....and it was labeled as a "bunch plant", and was $1.99!!!! Yippee!! Sometimes, it does pay to go to Petco. The one by me is actually pretty good.
P1000543.JPG

That's a beautiful lotus.

Pet stores around here have a lot of plants but poor quality. The plants look half-dead. Haven't check Petco yet.

Check often.....usually petco has lousy plants, and this time was no exception, except for the lotus. Who knew?? I always peruse the plant section figuring they might get something neat, but 99% of the time it's just anacharis, hornwort and mis-identified houseplants.

I usually don't like buying at chain stores but do check them out. Sometimes you find some unique deals. Such as finding something you haven't found anywhere else. Sometimes they won't even have it labeled or it'll be mis-labeled and you'll get an incredible deal.

I got 4 gorgeous rainbowfish I haven't seen before for $1.09 each today. They were in a tank with danios. There was no label for them so I got 'em for the price of the danios.

I know what you mean about the plants at Petco. They basically always have those same plants. Last week I actually saw a zebra loach in with the plants and got him for 3.99. He had barely any room in there with all the plants bunched. He's now happily swimming in my 20g with my other zebra loaches.
I got some lace java fern on a piece of driftwood for a good price awhile ago. That's about all I got for cool plants at Petco. :(

I had a similar thing happen; I picked up 4 turquoise rainbows at Petco the same day as the lotus. They were also unlabeled, and the person working had no idea what they were so gave them to me for the price of the regular Australian rainbows ($1.49). They are now happily schooling with my 6 other turquoises that I payed $7 each for!

It does pay to give Petco or similar places a close inspection every now and then!

My local Petco always has tiger lotus, but they are smaller, brown and very hard. They sell them as bulbs. Aponogetons too. They are carrying a lot more driftwood lately. Some neat pieces too.

Back
Top Bottom