New to me Tank and Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

revchristinejday

Aquarium Advice Activist
On Friday a friend and I moved a 40 gallon (I think I did the math right) pentagon corner aquarium, stand and fish. We kept the gravel and the filter media wet, carried the fish in a cooler and reset it up in my house. I'm hoping as the tank was cycled that it will stay that way and not do a mini cycle. I've been doing API tests and ammonia is 0, nitrates 0 and nitrates 10.

However most of these fish are all new to me--I've been a goldfish person--so here are my new fish friends:
black moor; oranda; ryukin; 2 angelfish; 2 serape tetras; 2 mickey mouse platys; 5 neon tetras; 4 tiger barbs; red parrot ciclid (I think); a pleco (I think and hoping it's a small one) and a adf.

I'm worried that it might be overstocked.

Gladly will take advice.

Here's one photo of new goldies and one of what I think is a red parrot,
Thanks,
Chris

Attachments

• new aquarium.jpeg
    new aquarium.jpeg
    168.2 KB · Views: 130
  • Parrot.jpg
    Parrot.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 83
hey firstly welcome to AA and YA to a goldfish person! haha

im pretty sure u are overstocked. goldfish has huge bioload! i have a 40 gallon with only 2 big fancy goldfishes. Another thing is goldfish and tropical fish aint supposed to be kept in the same tank! firstly goldfish prefer coldwater while tropical prefers heated/warm water. secondly tropical fish compare to ur fancy goldfish are fast swimmers so make sure ur goldfish gets a fair feed. however some people do mix them up and do well.

ive also heard that red parrots can be semi-aggressive so watch out.

Thanks. So since the fish have been moved and somewhat stressed by the move, do you think I should wait and see? The fancy goldies are quick to respond to feeding beating out the others. (And the red parrot spends most of it's time lurking right now) Or should I transfer as soon as possible the three fancies to an unused 29 gallon tank--talk about sudden multi-tank-syndrome--and use gravel and media from the 50 gallon to cycle it?
Or three, if I invest in a new filter--maybe a canister that would give me 10 X filteration and them wait and see. Right now I have the temperature for the new tank at 72 which is at the low end for the tropicals and tolerable for the fancies.

I having started feeding the new tank two types of food--the flakes for tropical, which the first owner was feeding and some of the sinking gf pellets I feed my gf. Other ideas?

I know adding the 3 fancies would overload the 50 gallon common tank plus they are slower than the commons.....

Thanks,
Chris

Thanks. So since the fish have been moved and somewhat stressed by the move, do you think I should wait and see? The fancy goldies are quick to respond to feeding beating out the others. (And the red parrot spends most of it's time lurking right now) Or should I transfer as soon as possible the three fancies to an unused 29 gallon tank--talk about sudden multi-tank-syndrome--and use gravel and media from the 50 gallon to cycle it?
Or three, if I invest in a new filter--maybe a canister that would give me 10 X filteration and them wait and see. Right now I have the temperature for the new tank at 72 which is at the low end for the tropicals and tolerable for the fancies.

I having started feeding the new tank two types of food--the flakes for tropical, which the first owner was feeding and some of the sinking gf pellets I feed my gf. Other ideas?

I know adding the 3 fancies would overload the 50 gallon common tank plus they are slower than the commons.....

Thanks,
Chris

hmm i recommend set up ur 29gallon for ur 3 fancies and wait for it to cycle ( good idea to use old filter media to cycle) until then just watch them carefully! what kinda filter do u have atm? it will be good for u to save up for a good canister filter anywayz! it doesnt need to give u 10 x filtration! haha

Thanks Hubert90. The used filter that came with the aquarium is a whisper Tetra 60. Basically I just kept the filter media and the gravel/tank moist when we moved it. I really don't know exactly what type of media it is as what was unused in a box looked different from what came out of the filter for the move...

I guess I should start looking for a place for the 29 gallon...dining room is next.
Thanks, Chris

Thanks Hubert90. The used filter that came with the aquarium is a whisper Tetra 60. Basically I just kept the filter media and the gravel/tank moist when we moved it. I really don't know exactly what type of media it is as what was unused in a box looked different from what came out of the filter for the move...

I guess I should start looking for a place for the 29 gallon...dining room is next.
Thanks, Chris

sweet! :D and no problem! ill always help the best i can! if u have any question regarding goldfish! ask me :) haha i love goldfish! and ya when u can look into a canister filter! i recently replaced my 40 gallon inbuild filter to a eheim pro 2 2028! the difference was magical!! haha

Back
Top Bottom