The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jtuner119

Aquarium Advice Regular
never had fish before but my wife has. she had oscars. i got the aquarium for free and recently gave up a dog. fish just made sense. i currently have a 55 gallon with a jack dempsy, a green terror, a tiger oscar and a couple of convicts. my goal is to own an aggressive freshwater tank. i know i need a larger tank. maybe i can get another free aquarium.

:welcome:
Welcome to AA!! We are glad to have you!​

Nice looking tank!
You are definitely going to want to look into getting a larger tank or another tank ASAP. Housing a GT and a JD in a 55 will probably lead to aggression. They can coexist but they need their space.

thanks guys for the welcome. i do plan to get a bigger tank and my dempsey loves to bully my gt. but my tiger oscar keeps them in line pretty good. i also plan on creating a planter next to the tank to act as an auto water change. i'll post some pics when i can

i have a 48" long bubble wall that goes the length of the tank.

image-2075251450.jpg

jack dempsey

image-1287227333.jpg

tiger oscar

image-2391991199.jpg

green terror

image-4035792158.jpg

convict

i just cleaned the gravel in the tank and a 1/3 water change. decided to take some pics of the fish.

image-929386605.jpg

all 5 in one shot

Last edited by a moderator:
i have some brown algae developing. i want to get an algae eater but dont know what would be compatible with my fish. any suggestions???

i bought a pleco yesterday and i cant find it anymore. may have been eaten?

Jtuner119 said:
i bought a pleco yesterday and i cant find it anymore. may have been eaten?

They won't get eaten. What kind of pleco? Look everywhere in tank and out. By the way nice tank. Small or big pleco? can blend in good.

I wouldn't have added any more fish to that tank. It is highly overstocked as it is with high waste producing fish. The pleco will now be adding to an ever increasing bioload. Have you still got plans to upgrade very soon? The brown algae you are seeing is called diatoms. It is very common in the first few months of a newly setup tank. You shouldn't buy a fish to eat it because it will go away after a few months on its own. After it is gone you will have to supplement the food if the pleco more often. Is it a common pleco or a bristlenose?

its a common pleco. it might be inside the log. i do plan to get a larger tank. im waiting on a 75 gallon to become available to me. also free.

Jtuner119 said:
its a common pleco. it might be inside the log. i do plan to get a larger tank. im waiting on a 75 gallon to become available to me. also free.

Commons can get up to "24" inches ! Takes time but they still grow up to that! Hope u find him they can be shy.

Jtuner119 said:
Free tanks are great!
I would return him. Your tank will still be overstocked even with it being a 75g. 75g is be enough for your Oscar and that's it. If you plan on keeping all those fish including the pleco your looking at a tank in the 200g+ region. Oscars can grow fast! One inch a month.

Back
Top Bottom