Nitrogen deficiency

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nalqadah

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What can cause nitrogen deficiency? & What is the solution?

Hello nal...

If you have an extremely large tank with just a few, small fish, nitrogen levels can be very low. The large volume of water will dilute the nitrogen from the dissolved fish waste to the point the nitrogen wouldn't show up if you tested the tank water. The solution would be to add more fish.

B

Lack of nitrogen causes a nitrogen deficiency.
The addition of nitrogen will fix it.

I meant why this suddenly happened ? Is it related to wc (I did 50%) or light time reducing (9 to 6 hrs) or adding iron or using surface skimner as I did all within 1 week as my tank showed early algea symptoms.
And how to add nitrogen ?

I meant why this suddenly happened ? Is it related to wc (I did 50%) or light time reducing (9 to 6 hrs) or adding iron or using surface skimner as I did all within 1 week as my tank showed early algea symptoms.
And how to add nitrogen ?

Water changes will remove nitrogen (if your tap water doesn't have any in it of course).

so 10ppm NO3 tank water will turn into 5ppm NO3 after a 50% water change.

Fish will produce it, but in a lot of cases it is not enough to support proper plant growth.

So we fertilize to meet nitrogen requirements.

KNO3 is a simple compound that I use to add nitrogen.

Thrive is an over - the - counter all in one fertilizer that works well.
Stay away from Seachem Flourish unless you know exactly what you want from those products.

Water changes will remove nitrogen (if your tap water doesn't have any in it of course).

so 10ppm NO3 tank water will turn into 5ppm NO3 after a 50% water change.

Fish will produce it, but in a lot of cases it is not enough to support proper plant growth.

So we fertilize to meet nitrogen requirements.

KNO3 is a simple compound that I use to add nitrogen.

Thrive is an over - the - counter all in one fertilizer that works well.

Stay away from Seachem Flourish unless you know exactly what you want from those products.

It's true I'm using seachem potassium and iron (not flourish excel) plus fertilizer (added once weekly) but not seachem.
So do you recommend waiting until it builds up by it self or should I add nitrogen as you mentioned?

It's true I'm using seachem potassium and iron (not flourish excel) plus fertilizer (added once weekly) but not seachem.
So do you recommend waiting until it builds up by it self or should I add nitrogen as you mentioned?

Do you have an NO3 test?

I'm assuming your tank is considered low tech or low light?

I would target 10ppm of NO3 dosed weekly. That way you know that you are supplying 10ppm of NO3, and your fish will add some more. As long as you are doing a decently big water change weekly.

I would strongly suggest using Thrive and target that 10ppm NO3 or simply follow the directions on the bottle.

I found aquaforest nitrogen only, not low light I can say, 21w/7000 Kelvin for 15gal tk medium planted.
I'm getting the Nitrate/nitrite/amonia test kit tomorrow to give exact parameters.
Regarding WC I usually do 25% & last week only I did the 50% change only

What light do you have?
How tall is the tank?
I would still suggest using Thrive as then you are providing ALL the nutrients plants need.

Hygger blue white led 45 LEDs, it's around 60H*30L*30H (in cm's).
My local dealer doesn't have thrive, only aquaforest & seachem

Hygger blue white led 45 LEDs, it's around 60H*30L*30H (in cm's).
My local dealer doesn't have thrive, only aquaforest & seachem

aquaforest has a macro mix and a micro mix. I would use those 2.

Your light should work well for a low-medium tech tank, no issues there.

Sorry but didn't get you, what is macro mix and micro mix? & What's the difference between them?

Sorry but didn't get you, what is macro mix and micro mix? & What's the difference between them?

Aquaforest has 2 products called:

Macro Mix
Micro Mix

The Macro Mix contains NO3, PO4 and K (plant macro nutrients)

The Micro Mix contains: Molybdenum, Nickel, Manganese, Cobalt, Iron, Zinc, Magnesium, Calcium, Boron, Strontium, Bromine, Titanium and Copper (plant micro nutrients)

Aquaforest has 2 products called:

Macro Mix
Micro Mix

The Macro Mix contains NO3, PO4 and K (plant macro nutrients)

The Micro Mix contains: Molybdenum, Nickel, Manganese, Cobalt, Iron, Zinc, Magnesium, Calcium, Boron, Strontium, Bromine, Titanium and Copper (plant micro nutrients)

I checked all my parameters )except amonia), including pH, GH, KH, NO2, NO3 and Cl2. All were (as per sheet with color code) excellent except KH which was in the "maximum" bad scale, is it so harmful to fish & plants ? And in which way?

I checked all my parameters )except amonia), including pH, GH, KH, NO2, NO3 and Cl2. All were (as per sheet with color code) excellent except KH which was in the "maximum" bad scale, is it so harmful to fish & plants ? And in which way?

What are the actual readings?

NO2 should be 0 no matter what.

NO3 would be low (<10ppm) for you to see actual N deficiency in the plants.

pH will determine what nutrients are "available" to the plants.

gH is fine from 5-20 degrees (assuming it's not 100% calcium).

kH is fine at any range.

Cl2 should be 0 (I think??)

NO2 = 0
NO3 = 0-5ppm
pH= 7
GH = forgot but it was ok
KH = max "bad"
Cl2 = 0

I added 5ml from AF N boost (as per manufacturer ratio). Should I continue dosing? If yes what's the dosing schedule ?
Also for iron what's the weekly dosing schedule ?
For potassium I'm dosing 2ml 3 times weekly

I added 5ml from AF N boost (as per manufacturer ratio). Should I continue dosing? If yes what's the dosing schedule ?
Also for iron what's the weekly dosing schedule ?
For potassium I'm dosing 2ml 3 times weekly

I'm unfamiliar with those products, but I would follow the recommendations that come on the bottles.

Back
Top Bottom