Otos!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coryluv

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got three otos yesterday for a dollar each at Petsmart. I've been reading up on them. I was getting a bit of brown algae and in a day they've cleaned up most of it. I put a slice of blanched zucchini in for them tonight. So far so good. They are so cute. I've never had otos before but I never had a real planted tank before either. I didn't realize before doing some research that they are almost all wild caught. I just set up a QT that is empty, but did put them directly in my DT because it has plants and algae. That was a tough decision, but its done so I'm hoping it goes smoothly. Here is a picture of one of them. I like how you can see the otos reflection on the side of the tank.

image-526754512.jpg

Oooo nice! I have been needing some otos for a while, I'll have to check my petmart to see if they have them. I found some at a lfs for $11 / 3 but decided to wait and see if some other shops can get their hands on them for cheaper.

Ty bettaowner. I'm just learning how cool. Yes, Mebbid, the price was definitely part of the reason for buying them at this time. I hope you are able to get some. All three are active and look well this morning, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I saw the sale on Monday, but had to do some research, double check my stocking plan, and give it some thought before going back for them Tuesday morning.

I was planning on putting 6 Otos in my tank as soon as my tetras are settled in post-cycling. Glad to see that they're efficient as well as fun. :)

It has been a week. So far so good. All three otos look healthy and fed. Leaving the lights on longer to grow algae. They are uninterested in zucchini, so I'm becoming an algae farmer, lol.

It has been a week. So far so good. All three otos look healthy and fed. Leaving the lights on longer to grow algae. They are uninterested in zucchini, so I'm becoming an algae farmer, lol.

Nice, it looks like that one already has a little pot belly. It's cute. And there nothing wrong with being an algae farmer, it's fun

Yes, all three have those little pot bellies. There is so much to love about these little fish.

Yes, I'm definitely gathering supplies to grow algae on rocks. I'm going to keep offering zucchini and going to try cucumber and spinich, too.

PS Can anyone ID the exact species?

47265-albums12890-picture59593.jpg

Last edited:
As of this morning I'm happy to report at least one of my otos is eating the zucchini! I stuck it on my driftwood and just caught the meal action!

I got three otos yesterday for a dollar each at Petsmart.

Yeah pet smart was also selling plecos Chinese algae eater for $1......i got a few Chinese eaters to go with my cichlids i think the otos would get eaten

Back
Top Bottom