Outstanding livebearers.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toirtis

God of primitive fishes
Picked up a pair of lyretail swords today...a photo approximation is below, but imagine 4" long (not including fins), nice thick bodies, with insanely long (2" long) trailing tail fins and really intense, deep orange-red colouration.

Attachments

• waglyretailsword.jpg
    waglyretailsword.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 1,023
Thanks...the size was what threw me.....really large swords are becoming a rare thing, and these are exceptional in all areas....absolutely show quality....and being 6" long overall makes them very eye-catching.

Gorgeous fish, Toirtis. I wonder how they'd do in a tank with my 12 inch Polypterus bichir lapradei. :wink:

-Joe

Well, in order to help feed my addiction, I have been working one morning per week bagging fish for a local wholesaler that I know....and this morning, he told me I had to see these swords that came in....the rest is history.

Great looking sword and the size WOW. It does seem that poor breeding has decreased the size of swords. Swords have recently grabbed my eye again and have added a few to my tanks. I bought some plan red velvets the other day just because of the exceptional color and size they were. Very robust and rich in color. They were just beautiful and really pop against the greens in the planted tank. I have some additional swords coming next week also (blue/green montys).

Well, since I know that once these things are moved into the retail tanks of the store they are going to sell like crazy...and all the shops that bought them in their wholesale orders last week are going to no doubt want a good dozen each this week, I stopped in and grabbed another two females this afternoon....with luck, I will have fry within a week or two.

Got three Aponogeton ulvaceus and two Echinodorus amazonicus for about $1.50 each, too....so I got to spend a few minutes playing merry aquagardener this afternoon, too.

Bloody swords surprised me with about 40 fry this evening....I was sure she wouldn't pop until the weekend....oh well, I now have 5 weeks to grow them enough to auction a few off at our big September auction.

I guess at least two of the females popped, as I seem to have about 150 fry now....unfortunately, the birthing seems to have claimed the life of one of my females.

Ah, no worries on the loss...these things happen. Its been a while since I had 150+ fry of a single species/colour at one time, though....should be some fun.

Back
Top Bottom